It is a small, movable typewriter, one of the most classic typewriters of the 1st half of the 20th century. Its production, on the basis of the patent purchased from the Paillard company of Switzerland, was commenced by Fabryka Karabinów (FK) [Warsaw Rifle Factory] in 1938.
Among the four mounds in Krakow, the Piłsudski Mound is the youngest and the biggest. It was raised on the top of Sowiniec Hill, situated in the Wolski Forest. In 1934 the Association of Polish Legionnaires put forward the idea of raising a mound-statue of the nation’s fight for independence.
Bogdan Treter (1886–1945) — an architect and regional heritage conservator for the Kraków Province — designed fabrics for the Polish Kilim Making Industry Association (“Kilim”), shown in 1929 at the National Show in Poznań. His designs were executed by Wanda Grottowa's Artistic Kilim Studio in Kraków.
This 7–39 radio set was produced by Polskie Zakłady Philips in the penultimate season of its production (1938/39) that was interrupted by the outbreak of World War II. Polskie Zakłady Philips was the largest radio manufacturing plant in Poland between World War I and World War II. It was established by a Dutch company of Philips in 1922 as Polsko–Holenderska Fabryka Lampek Elektrycznych S.A. (The Polish-Dutch Plant of Electric Lamps). It was renamed to Philips in 1928.
A jacket from the formal attire of the interwar period belonged to a member of the Sokół (Falcon) Gymnastic Society. The double-breasted jacket, made of green cloth, which got faded in the course of time, has five original buttons, but, unfortunately, it is not complete. It constitutes only one element of a full uniform. It was donated to the museum by a private person. The outfit evokes the history of the Wadowice Falcon’s Nest.
The huge, 24-cylinder engine, with 4 cylinders arranged in six rows, attracts the attention of the unusually rich exhibition of aircraft engines at the Aviation Museum in Krakow: this system can be called a “double W”. For many years, it has been a very mysterious museum exhibit.
This is an eagle from the autonomous coat of arms of the Silesian Voivodeship, the design referring to the medieval Silesian eagle, with a characteristic band on the wings. Made from a thin brass metal sheet, gilded, with a hook made separately.
“The whole country in the range of a detector” — it was a slogan of British radio operators from 1923. Six years later it was implemented by the Polish radio (Polskie Radio SA). Why a detector receiver? Why not a lamp receiver which gives better reception? There were several reasons, two of which were decisive: a much lower price and an independent source of power, which had to be important in a country like Poland where electricity was scarce in the 3rd decade of the 20th century.
A large urn in the form of a cylinder, on a round flat plinth, supported on three stylised animal paws. At the edge of the urn is a crowned eagle with outspread wings. On the external wall of the urn is a map of the Second Republic of Poland on which all the airports are marked; above the map is a flying airplane, further to the right the marshal’s baton and a relevant inscription. The urn contains ground collected from 40 airports.
The phonograph has a spring drive mechanism and is designed to play discs that have a diameter of 10 to 25 cm at 33 rpm. It is sometimes described as the walkman of the Victorian era and the great-grandfather of the iPod. It is an example of one of the first pocket-size and movable devices for playing music.
Portrait of Kazimierz Janota Bzowski (the last owner of the Droginia estate), painted by Stanisław Janowski in 1927. The painting belonged to the Janota Bzowski family from Droginia, a village near Kraków. It was donated to the museum by Witold Nekanda Trepka.
The sculpture In the Theatre Box invites us to the world created by its author, to her contemporaneous “here and now”; it arouses our curiosity. We want to know what the portrayed woman is involved in, what makes her look so dreamy, who she is looking at, and why she has put down her opera glasses. Who is she? Where is she? In the theatre, in the opera? We shall never know. The sculpture probably dates from 1909, and was created by Luna Amalia Drexler, whose background is not covered by contemporary studies.
The exhibit in question is a glass ashtray with a rectangular base with hollows for cigarettes on longer sides. The base features a stuck colour photograph in the size of a postcard representing the Spa House in Krynica. The lower middle section of the image features an inscription: “Curhaus — Krynica”.
The Marconi radio set is a high quality luxury battery-operated radio set produced by Polskie Zakłady Marconi S.A. This Warsaw branch of the Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company Ltd. London, the company established by the undisputed inventor of radiophony, Guglielmo Marconi, was established in 1928.
The Majestic radio receiver is an example of the production of one of the largest pre-war Polish radio companies — Towarzystwo Radiotechniczne Elektrit. This model was awarded the gold medal at the Radio Exhibition in Paris in 1936. Little wonder that a press advertisement from the 1930s described it as “the receiver for the most demanding”.
Commemorative badge for former soldiers of the Polish Legions, and later the Polish Auxiliary Corps, interned in 1918. Made of silver plated tombac, in the shape of an eagle with the badge of II Brigade of the Polish Legions on the chest. Oval with...
The flame for the signal trumpet was a decorative element used during solemn speeches. A trumpeter was present in the full-time squadron of the cavalry regiment, as well as on the regular posts of infantry riflemen as well as medium machine gun and artillery units. In the field...
The Observer Badge (Navigator Badge) is one of the aviation’s specialty badges, worn by pilots and other members of the flying staff. The popular gapa is one of the most famous symbols of the Polish Military Aviation. The badge was worn by aviators in the inter-war period and the Polish Air Force during World War II. The design of the badge has survived from the time of the People’s Republic of Poland and is worn by Polish aviators to this day.
Jędrzej Wowro (Andrzej Wawro) was the most famous folk artist of the interwar period. He was born in 1864 in Gorzeń Dolny near Wadowice. He came from a poor family and was used to working hard from an early age. He carved his first figurines while neglecting his shepherding duties.
The tiled stove was moved to the Museum of the Vistula Ethnographic Park in Wygiełzów and the Lipowiec Castle as an element of the former furnishings of the manor house in Droginia. During the reconstruction it was located in the room constituting the museum exhibition where it performs a decorative function in the master’s room, although it used to be a source of heat in the Droginia manor where the Bzowski family lived for generations.