Museum exhibitions and depots are not only treasuries of works of art but also places where objects, whose usefulness has recently come to an end, are given a second chance to live. Thanks to a museum, we can learn about the function and history of such objects — from the moment of their creation, through the period of their heyday, until the end of their useful lives. But is it really necessary to restore objects to life and does some part of them endure? History suggests: “non omnis moriar” (I shall not wholly die).
Feliks Jasieński collected art for thirty years of his life. The collection numbered about 15,000 items and included paintings and graphics from the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, a set of Asian art objects, carpets, kilims, furniture and arts and crafts, as well as a library. The unique collection became a testimony to the time of its creator, who initially collected works in his apartment, and then, on 11 March 1920, donated them to the city of Kraków...
The Museum of Żupy Krakowskie has been continuously extending its collection of salt shakers from different eras and continents; currently, it has several hundred items. On our website, we present six of them, distinguished by their intricate decorations, as well as the place and time of their creation...
Exhibits like this are rarely seen in Polish museums. This beautifully ornamented, obviously black hearse dates back to the late 19th century. Its owner put it up for sale in Bęczarka, a village located 20 km from Dobczyce. One of the residents of Dobczyce bought it and donated it to the local Regional Museum.
The collection of Małopolska’s Virtual Museums is not only composed of extremely valuable objects but also very common things of everyday use, important mainly because they are traces of old practises, customs, coding an image of a world which is already gone.
Tytus Chałubiński’s herbarium of Tatra mosses is the most valuable botanical collection at the Dr Tytus Chałubiński Tatra Museum.
Doctor Tytus Chałubiński (1820–1889), a man of broad horizons and multiple interests, a great physician with a passion for botany, is one of the legendary figures of Zakopane.
This is a fragment of a loincloth with applications in the form of sewn-in wheels and fringes. The fabric comes from Peru and is a part of Władysław Kluger’s collection from 1876.
The set of toilet accessories consists of: a folding razor, a brush, a folding knife, a spoon and two spatulas for applying creams.
A solid wooden cane topped by a brass handle; an exhibit in the Seweryn Udziela Ethnographic Museum in Kraków, inventory number 15457/MEK. It has often been displayed during many on-site and off-site exhibitions, and published in descriptions and photographs; on a day-to-day basis, it is stored meticulously wrapped in acid-free paper in a cardboard box on a shelf in a depository of the Museum's collections. It is quite valuable as it is one of only four similar items, the so-called kełefs, in the Museum's collection.
The fan is made of a hand-painted fabric. In the fan’s folds, richly decorated fields with various floral patterns featuring a palette of blues and pinks, coloured using paint gouache, arranged vertically, are clearly visible. Through the floral compositions, there diamond-shaped ornaments, sewn in using golden thread, with the addition of sequins and beads at the corners. Along the fan, runs a strip of alternating brown and azure-blue panels, with white and pink flowers running respectively, in various compositions.
What connects the Tibetan medical kit – one of the oldest items in the collection of the Ethnographic Museum – to the costume of the Scynthian princess – one of the most valuable exhibits of the Archaeological Museum of Kraków?
The vessel comes from the collection of Władysław Kluger, it is from 1876. It has the shape of the lama head with wide outflow.
The vessel comes from the collection of Władysław Kluger, it is from 1876. Anatomical details of the frog and decorations made in the form of zigzags are painted with red paint around the vessel.
Obiekt pochodzi z kolekcji Władysława Klugera z 1876 roku. Kuliste naczynie z umieszczoną na szczycie, przy wylewie leżącą postacią ludzką.
The vessel comes from the collection of Władysław Kluger from 1876. It has two circular bellies and two beaks: one in the shape of a bird’s head, the other one tall and straight, both conjoined with a curved handle. On the belly, there are panels with straps of...
The vessel from Władysław Kluger’s collection comes from Peru, from the pre-Columbian period. The specimen was made of clay by shaped in a mould. Some elements were manually modelled (nose, ears, hands), then the vessel was fired to a bright red color. The surface is matt.
The vessel is part of the rich collection of monuments from Bilcze Złote, from the Werteba Cave. The objects come from excavations, conducted with breaks from 1876 to 1907, by Adam Honory Kirkor, Gotfryd Ossowski, and Włodzimierz Dematrykiewicz. The collections of Prince Leon and Teresa Sapieh were handed over by agreement in 1904 to the Museum of Skills Academy in Kraków.
This object was found in Bilcze Złote (now the Tarnopol region, Ukraine), in the Werteb cave in 1898, by Włodzimierz Demetrykiewicz. The badge is a part of the rich collection of Leon XX and Teresa Sapieh, which was handed over by agreement in 1904 to the Museum of Skills Academy in Kraków.
The vessel comes from the collection of Władysław Kluger from 1876. It has the shape of a warrior’s head with a band. On its sides there are large protruding ears with earrings. The eyes of the warrior are almond-like, with slightly hooded eyelids. The face is of a geometrised shape.