Padlock makers from Świątniki Górne – the first members of the Locksmith Company, 1889. Property of the Marcin Mikuła Locksmithing Museum in Świątniki Górne. Wawel stewards and bell-ringers specialising in the production of locks, fittings, and padlocks of different kinds have been dedicated to professional craftsmanship since the mid-16th century. From the end of the 18th century...
The American padlock Samson Eight Lever. How did it end up in the Świątniki Museum? It bears traces of levering up the sheet metal. Somebody probably wanted to check how its mechanism worked. Initially, padlock makers from Świątniki watched how others did it. On the basis of the knowledge gained in this way, they created their own mechanisms, being a compilation of those peeped at others.
The inscription under the photograph: Ludwik Langiewicz – a padlock seller from nearby Sukiennice [Cloth Hall], photo from 1932. Peddling was a typical type of trade in Świątniki. Padlocks were most often sold by a producer of padlocks or by “the one who did not want to work“. The name putniorze [putnia sellers] in a local dialect derives...
A combination padlock, an armour snuffbox, also called a letter-gate padlock, a trick padlock or an artificial padlock. In order to open it, one has to know the right code, which after setting on a padlock enables one to uncover a keyhole. After this, a padlock can be opened with a key.
A secret padlock with a square diameter shackle, two movable pillars, and a cover over the keyhole. The padlock has three keys and protection against thieves in the form of a latch with a serrated blade hidden inside the padlock. After pressing the handle, the blade is released.
A type of saw or file for cutting narrow gaps in metal, which was most often used to cut patterns in keys. The metal cutting saw consists of two riveted plates with a free space between them.
The outfit consists of a navy-blue coat with a wide cape reaching beyond the shoulders trimmed with a red border. The coat is single-breasted, with one column of buttons, and there is a stand-up collar around the neck.
The portrait has been drawn with pastels on greyish green, grained textured paper, glued on thick, lightly coloured cardboard. The man portrayed, Stanisław Synowiec, was framed head-and-shoulders en face.
A field smithy was donated to the Locksmith Company in 1916 by the Centre for the Restoration of the Country located in Vienna. A portable hearth popularly called a field smithy was a fixed element of a padlock-making workshop. A smithy consists of three main elements: a basin, a bellows, and a tuyere.
The presented box is the so-called putnia box. It was designed for carrying padlocks by salesmen called putniorze. They walked from village to village with putnia boxes...
An old tool made of wood from Świątniki Górne, closely related to the workshop manufacturing padlocks. its main element is a wooden pole with a flywheel mounted on it. The horizontally placed handle is connected to the pole by a cord.
The padlock may be opened by activating an appropriate latch, called a pillar. Thanks to this, the keyhole cover (the so-called “shield”) opens. Due to the high cost of production, such padlocks were manufactured very rarely, and the production process itself required mastering the craft of padlock making perfectly.