The sculpture was purchased in Cairo from Albert Kohen by soldiers of the Polish Independent Carpathian Rifle Brigade during WW II. The head of the figure represents a young woman in a thick wreath of flowers. She has a fine coiffure of regularly arranged curls over her forehead, as well as along her cheeks, at the back they are formed into balls resembling grapes.
The clay red-figure vessel comes from Kerch — a Greek colony situated on the Black Sea. It was made in the so-called Kerch style and is dated back to the 4th century BC. The edge of the vessel is trimmed with an ornament of an egg-and-dart encircling the figural scene. On the one side there is Arimaspian fighting with a gryphon. The warrior is dressed in a tunic and trousers — anaxyrides.
A clay vessel of an ashen colour, turned on a potter's wheel. It has the form of a shallow bowl or a platter on a hollow leg. It has been preserved in its entirety; few imperfections were corrected with plaster. An analysis of the form, the manner in which the vessel was made, and the analogies suggest that the bowl should be associated with the Dacian environment.
This three-coloured bowl on an annular foot, decorated with so-called negative painting, using wax as a reserve material, belongs to the pre-Columbian Carchi-Nariño highland culture from the border of today's Ecuador and Colombia, dating back to around 700 or 800 AD and 1500 AD.
The presented vessels have the shape of small amphoras and are made of clay. The former is decorated with primitive plant patterns and the lug has been, it seems, knocked off, with the body extending at the top. The latter vessel has a pair of lugs and a body extending at the bottom, on which a relief representation of two figures occupied by an object is visible. The irregularities in the shape of the vessels and their primitive ornamentation indicate the early period of their creation and the simple craftsmanly workshop.
A beige and brown mug with a ribbon-shaped handle, with the body decorated with circular depressions and vertical slats. It comes from the Bronze Age. It was discovered during excavation research conducted in Witów in the post-war period at excavation site no. 1.
A vessel thrown on a potter’s wheel with a profiled, conical neck, of light grey colour, comes from the late Roman imperial period, i.e. 3rd–4th century AD. It was discovered at the multicultural site no. 1 in Witów.
The clay vessel has a squat body, narrowing at the bottom and situated on a thin base. The neck of the vessel is wide and ends with a cavitied flange. The body has been decorated with a meander and a winged figure with oblong objects in its hands, bent over the capital of an Ionic column. The decorations have been made in accordance with Greek black-figure pottery.
The vessel for incense has a wide body which turns into a narrow base at the bottom. The upper part of the vessel is open, without any cover. Two circular handles have been placed at the sides of the vessel.
Pottery products, which have accompanied people from the dawn of history, are associated mainly with folk mementos these days, while the function of pottery was successfully taken over by industrial products, not limited by fragile material.
The terra sigillata vessel in the form of a bowl on a foot comes from the cremation tomb accidentally discovered in Lisów (Opatów district). The vessel was imported from a province of the Roman Empire. The form of the vessel is typical of the pottery workshop in Rheinzabern (south-western Germany), the largest centre producing vessels of this type in the northern provinces of the Roman Empire (Germania Superior), operating in 190–220. The vessel was made of clay, sealed in the matrix with a negative decoration, and subsequently baked in a furnace in the pottery workshop of Primitivus I.
This sculpture of a male head, from the early Stone Age, was found during excavations in Pleszów, in the area of Nowa Huta. Extremely realistic, it is the logotype of the branch of the Archaeological Museum in Nowa Huta. An unknown artist presented the face with many details: the skull is...
This miniature scoop comes from the Bronze Age and the Early Iron Age, it has a ribbon-shaped handle and a spotted, black and beige surface. It was discovered during excavation research conducted in Witów in the post-war period at excavation site no. 1.
This is the second example of the knobby amphorae from the Witów area presented on our website. It comes from the Bronze Age. It was discovered during excavation research conducted in Witów in the post-war period at excavation site no. 1.
The first man settled in Witów, lying in a distance of 4 km from Koszyce, as early as several thousand years ago. The first archaeological finds from this area are dated back to that time — ca. 5 thousand years ago. The local hill on the river was a perfect place to settle. It had its natural defensive features, which were eagerly used by our ancestors who founded subsequent settlements in the Witów area. They left their traces there: vessels, tools, ornaments.
The little amphora comes from excavation research conducted in Witów in the post-war period in site no. 1. From 1961 to 1963, the research was coordinated by Józef Marciniak, PhD, and in the 1970s by Jacek Rydzewski, PhD. During the works, objects showing evidence of a human presence in Witów as early as the Neolithic era were found.
Ceramic corner tile taken from a clay stove, the so-called heater. It was made by the pottery workshop of Jan Oksitowicz, a potter enrolled in the Kraków guild in 1832. The tile comes from a stove which existed even in the interwar period in one of the Kraków tenement houses belonging to the Tarnowski family. After World War II, the stove stood in the former residence of this family in Dzików near Tarnobrzeg, from where, dismantled, it found its way to Kraków again.
The stove was manufactured in the maiolica factory in Nieborów, which was established in 1881 by Prince Michał Radziwiłł. It comes from the destroyed mansion in Krzyszkowice near Myślenice and it was renovated in 1977.
In 1845, in A Souvenir from Kraków, Józef Mączyński mentioned the existence of two “ancient furnaces” inside the episcopal palace in Kraków. Furnaces built of tiles, decorated with the coat of arms of the bishops — Marcin Szyszkowski (Ostoja) and Piotr Gembicki (Nałęcz) — were already in poor condition in the middle of the 18th century, which had been noted in the inspection of the palace. However, thanks to the large, colourful tiles, those furnaces were certainly very decorative. Unfortunately, in 1850, the furnaces shared the fate of the episcopal palace, which burned down during the great fire of Kraków, and only single tiles and their fragments have survived to this day.
A middle-sized red baked clay bowl with a narrow bottom and straight, widely open sides, ended at the top with a little rim. The inside of the bowl and the bottom are decorated with simple drawings of twigs. At the top, there are wavy lines. The decoration was made with yellow enamel. From the inside, the bowl is covered with brown glaze.