Among the four mounds in Krakow, the Piłsudski Mound is the youngest and the biggest. It was raised on the top of Sowiniec Hill, situated in the Wolski Forest. In 1934 the Association of Polish Legionnaires put forward the idea of raising a mound-statue of the nation’s fight for independence.
The knee-boot jack was donated by Mr Piwowarczyk of Dębowa in 1982. The base has a grooved fragment for a heel, used to put a foot with a boot on it. It is also equipped with a horseshoe-shaped protection that supports the boot and facilitates its taking off.
Wooden forks, a popular simple agricultural tool, were commonly used until the first half of the twentieth century, when they were replaced by ever-cheaper iron forks. The type of fork used for spreading dung, displayed in the collections of the Museum in Kęty, could be found in southern Poland, as well as in the area of the present-day Czech Republic and Slovakia.
Jacek Malczewski’s palette is one of the several painting palettes preserved in a collection of memorabilia of famous artists associated with the Academy of Fine Arts in Kraków. It served for oil painting. Its large size, streamlined, heart-like shape and thumb hole, as well as its small weight – resulting from the type of wood used – made it possible to conveniently hold the palette on the forearm and support it by propping it against the side.
During the first centuries of the existence of mines, small spoil was transferred from the face to the shaft in the basins and reeds; salt rocks and barrels were rolled with the help of walacz rods or pulled on the szlafy (the so-called sanice). The szlafy are mentioned only in 18th century sources; however, given the fact that they have been used on the surface long before the mine was created, it can be assumed that they were used in the Wieliczka salt pits in the Middle Ages.
Obesłanie of the guild of carpenters in Koszyce depicts an eagle on one side, and the Eye of Providence as well as carpentry tools on the other: a protractor, compass, plane and the inscription: “.Year. 1546 .”
Pomalowana na czarno szafka służyła do przechowywania w aptece leków o silnym działaniu. Zwykle na takiej szafie umieszczano napis Venena (łac. veneum — trucizna) oraz malowano symbole czaszki i skrzyżowanych piszczeli. Na drzwiach prezentowanej szafki zostały wymalowane białą farbą...
An old tool made of wood from Świątniki Górne, closely related to the workshop manufacturing padlocks. its main element is a wooden pole with a flywheel mounted on it. The horizontally placed handle is connected to the pole by a cord.
Pigulnica to urządzenie służące do wytwarzania pigułek (pilulae, od łac. pila — piłeczka, kulka), jednej z najstarszych form leków. Prezentowany eksponat konstrukcji Eugena Dietericha (II poł. XIX wieku) składa się z drewnianej podstawy oraz z ruchomej deseczki. Na obu elementach...
Prezentowana drewniana puszka w kulistym kształcie służyła w aptece do pozłacania i posrebrzania pigułek. W ten sposób łagodzono ich przykry smak, a także zabezpieczano przed wysychaniem i psuciem. Sposób powlekania pigułek złotem można znaleźć na przykład w Farmacyi Teodora...
An altar sculpture showing an unknown saint, probably saint Anna, was made by an unknown artist in the 18th century. It supposedly comes from the wooden All Saints’ Church in Kęty which was dismantled on the command of Austrian authorities. The main reason for this decision was the poor technical condition of the building. Moreover, after the great fire which broke out in 1797, there were attempts to eliminate the wooden buildings from the centre in order to reduce the danger.
One of the rooms in a barn is traditionally called a mow (sąsiek). In this case, the name refers to a wooden chest, usually situated in a hall or in a chamber behind a hall, which was designed for keeping grains for sowing. A chest belonging to the collection of the Museum in Kęty is typical of southern Poland. Inside the chest are two chambers for two types of grain.
Obesłanie (plate bearing an emblem of a guild) was a characteristic element existing in the organisation of individual guilds. It was a sign used to authenticate the message being conveyed. If a messenger summoning, for example, guild members to a meeting, had an obesłanie with him, it was used to confirm that the message was from the guild master. Without this sign, the information was considered unreliable.
The sculpture Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane is a depiction of the time when Jesus prayed on the Mount of Olives, just before he was taken captive. It may have been a fragment of a non-preserved composition showing Christ praying in the company of the sleeping apostles and an angel with a cup of bitterness, heralding future suffering.
On the rectangular base, a rectangular wall was placed vertically. To the rear part of the wall, artists attached a transverse board, creating a king of a bench on which three figures sit: a woman, a man and a boy between them. This is the family of Józef Marek, portrayed by the artist. The artist is holding a brush and a palette — the attributes of his profession, as he is not only a sculptor, but also a painter and this is what he wants to accentuate.
The presented mace was the symbol of the head of the Zwierzyniec Borough. The borough was founded in 1810, which we know thanks to the date stamped on its head. Around it, there is also the inscription: Państwo Zwierzyniec + Wieś Zwierzyniec [Zwierzyniec Country + Zwierzyniec Village].
This is a wooden, blackboard of flights (most likely a replica) of 308 Kraków Fighter Squadron, with credits for the operational flight allocation, from 1945. This exhibit is particularly valuable due to the fact that the division continued the traditions of the 2 Air Regiment in Kraków (the squadron staff came from...
The offered hand invites a handshake. However, its extension is a dirty flag with the inscription Rag. We must decide whether we shall respond in kind to the seemingly friendly gesture, or whether we shall openly reject it. The work is a commentary on the epoch of the People's Republic of Poland.
In the classic Japanese nō theatre, masks are the most important accessories of the leading actor shite. With these masks, an actor is able to impersonate characters of both real and imaginary worlds (e.g. a warrior, a young woman, an old man, as well as a demon, a god or a goddess, etc.). By putting on a mask, the character is transformed and the audience is able to discover their hidden secrets (e.g. the extraterrestrial origin of the character), or fierce feelings tormenting them (sorrow, envy, madness).
The work comes from a church in Mogilany, which no longer exists. It was a wooden church, built before 1440, which had survived until the beginning of the 17th century (when it probably burned down). The only object left from it is the presented sculpture of the Risen Christ, found in an attic in 1965. After conservation, it was transferred to the Regional Museum in Myślenice in 1968, as a gift from the Parish Office in Mogilany.