The vessel comes from the 1876 Peruvian collection of Władysław Kluger. The hollow, zoomorphic figurine most likely represents a llama. It was made of a ceramic material, then coated with a light-coloured slip and white paint, which is most noticeable on the muzzle of the animal.
What do a cobalt vase and a Japanese emperor have in common? This vase is a gift from the Japanese court donated to the Manggha Museum during the visit of the Japanese emperor, Akihito, and his wife, Michiko, on 11 July 2002. This porcelain vase with a wooden base is ornamented with the imperial chrysanthemum – an emblem representing the imperial title in Japan.
The process of producing vessels of white porcelain is regarded as being exceptionally difficult, since, as it is baked in a furnace, small particles can easily permeate inside, and they can dye the porcelain forms, thus disrupting the whole process. One of the most outstanding contemporary hakuji artist is Manji Inoue (born 1929), the Japanese creator who was awarded, in 1995, with the honourable title of “The Living National Treasure” (Ningen Kokuhō).
A beige and brown mug with a ribbon-shaped handle, with the body decorated with circular depressions and vertical slats. It comes from the Bronze Age. It was discovered during excavation research conducted in Witów in the post-war period at excavation site no. 1.
A vessel thrown on a potter’s wheel with a profiled, conical neck, of light grey colour, comes from the late Roman imperial period, i.e. 3rd–4th century AD. It was discovered at the multicultural site no. 1 in Witów.
The vessel comes from the collection of Władysław Kluger from 1876. It has the shape of a warrior’s head with a band. On its sides there are large protruding ears with earrings. The eyes of the warrior are almond-like, with slightly hooded eyelids. The face is of a geometrised shape.
The vessel comes from the collection of Władysław Kluger, it is from 1876. It has the shape of the lama head with wide outflow.
The exhibit comes from the 1876 Peruvian collection of Władysław Kluger and was created during the period of Chimú culture. The vessel consists of two separate pieces, whose bodies were conjoined with a wide tunnel. They also feature a common handle connecting their necks.
The ceramic wineskin with a lug has a bulky body and a simple spout. The vessel has been formed by hand in a primitive workshop.
A Hanaire [花入], which is a flower vase used during the tea ceremony, can have many forms — standing, hanging, with a broad spout, or imitating a thin bamboo stem. Hanaire creators are not limited in terms of materials they can use, either. In tea rooms, one can encounter vases made of wicker, hollow calabash, and every kind of ceramic. Those lighter materials are used during summer gatherings; while heavier ones are chosen in winter.
The terra sigillata vessel in the form of a bowl on a foot comes from the cremation tomb accidentally discovered in Lisów (Opatów district). The vessel was imported from a province of the Roman Empire. The form of the vessel is typical of the pottery workshop in Rheinzabern (south-western Germany), the largest centre producing vessels of this type in the northern provinces of the Roman Empire (Germania Superior), operating in 190–220. The vessel was made of clay, sealed in the matrix with a negative decoration, and subsequently baked in a furnace in the pottery workshop of Primitivus I.
This sculpture of a male head, from the early Stone Age, was found during excavations in Pleszów, in the area of Nowa Huta. Extremely realistic, it is the logotype of the branch of the Archaeological Museum in Nowa Huta. An unknown artist presented the face with many details: the skull is...
The ushabti figures — artistically perfect and finely made — were purchased from the Museum of Egyptian Antiquities in Cairo by soldiers of the Polish Independent Carpathian Rifle Brigade during WW II and subsequently granted to the Archaeological Museum. The pillar at the back of the figure reaches the lower edge of a tripartite wig, finely fashioned in regular wisps exposing the ears.
In the Korzec collection in Tarnów, which numbers 450 inventory items, a small vase of the kantharos type deserves special attention. Vases of this type served as decorations and were produced on the occasion of anniversaries or other events. The excellent quality of the product and the elegance of its form and decorations prove the high level of manufacturing quality in the 1st two decades of the 19th century. In Polish museum collections, a similar small vase can be found in the collection of the National Museum in Warsaw.
This is a figurine-shaped porcelain salt shaker with a container for salt. A very decorative figure of black woman with a basket was created in the oldest European porcelain workshop in Meissen, near Dresden. It was made according to the model developed by Johann Friedrich Eberlein in 1741.
The presented salt shaker is an example of early white-blue pottery, which is decorated with cobalt blue. It is a rare form of Far Eastern porcelain imported to Europe. The object has come a long way to the collection of the Wieliczka Museum, because it was made in China during the Kangxi period (1662–1722).
This miniature scoop comes from the Bronze Age and the Early Iron Age, it has a ribbon-shaped handle and a spotted, black and beige surface. It was discovered during excavation research conducted in Witów in the post-war period at excavation site no. 1.
This is the second example of the knobby amphorae from the Witów area presented on our website. It comes from the Bronze Age. It was discovered during excavation research conducted in Witów in the post-war period at excavation site no. 1.
The first man settled in Witów, lying in a distance of 4 km from Koszyce, as early as several thousand years ago. The first archaeological finds from this area are dated back to that time — ca. 5 thousand years ago. The local hill on the river was a perfect place to settle. It had its natural defensive features, which were eagerly used by our ancestors who founded subsequent settlements in the Witów area. They left their traces there: vessels, tools, ornaments.
The little amphora comes from excavation research conducted in Witów in the post-war period in site no. 1. From 1961 to 1963, the research was coordinated by Józef Marciniak, PhD, and in the 1970s by Jacek Rydzewski, PhD. During the works, objects showing evidence of a human presence in Witów as early as the Neolithic era were found.