A wooden cuboid counter with a flat cover belonged to the guild of craftsmen specialising in processing animal skin and the production of leather items. Red tanners owed their name to the oak bar used in tanning, which gave the skin a red tone. Leather dressers delicately tanned skins for gloves and clothes with an alum solution.
We do not know much about this exhibit. It is a typical clavichord which — as a separate musical instrument — appeared in the 14th century. The use of clavichords spread in the 1st half of the 16th century. The one from the collection of the Museum of Ziemia Biecka came from the 18th century, from the time when the clavichord reached its final shape; among other features, it was equipped with legs.
The object on display is a longcase clock. It is placed on a pedestal topped with a shaped board, adorned with an inlaid eight-pointed star on the front wall. The longcase features doors decorated with a profiled panel in the form of an upright rectangle, capped with a suspended semi-circular arch and ornamented with two inlaid eight-pointed stars.
The casket is made of light wood, with edges inlaid with darker wood. The lid of the casket is characterized by barrel vaulting and mounted on metal hinges. The casket closes thanks to a metal latch. The inside of the casket is painted in black and divided into three wooden compartments. The size of the casket is adapted to the shapes and sizes of the three perfume bottles inside of it.
A guild counter was used for keeping documents connected with the guild, the power insignia of seniors, guild books. The counter of the surgeons’ guild is a cuboid wooden chest with a cover. Its external walls are decorated with panels, ornamented with rhombus motifs filled with stars made in the technique of intarsia (a form of inlaying wooden surfaces with other types of wood).
A Baroque wooden cradle was a gift of King Augustus II for Joachim Daniel von Jauch (1688—1754), royal plenipotentiary for construction matters, on the occasion of the baptism of his son. The King was the godfather of the first-born son of the von Jauch family, Henryk, who died in early childhood.
This double-barrelled flintlock was used as a prop in the School of Fine Arts in Kraków. The flintlock handgun shows many signs of usage...
The chest is made of oak, with inlaid work made of ash. The inlaid work presents two angels, and between them there is a wooden bathtub (on the lid) and two mallets, callipers, and an axe (on the front wall). There are metal handles on the sides of the chest, and, in the middle, there is a compartment for guild privileges.
The casket is equipped with a lock and made of dark wood. On the lid, there is an inscription inlaid with light wood and written in Fraktur, which reads: “Odeurs,” encompassed by a thin frame wrought using the technique of intarsia.
A unfolding case used for playing backgammon, chess and so-called “Polish draughts” is an example of the activity of workshops operating in Eger in the 17th and at the beginning of the 18th centuries. Their works enjoyed popularity in Europe at that time, due to their interesting designs and unique method of colourful relief intarsia applied for ornamentation.
The presented exhibit belonged to the Guild of Furriers, which has a centuries-old tradition in Myślenice, dating back to the Middle Ages. The guild chest was a richly decorated chest, whose decoration displayed elements usually associated with a given craft and which was used for storing valuable utensils, such as ceremonial cups, documents, and seals.
This wooden casket with a lock is made of dark wood wrought using the technique of intarsia and was used to store three small porcelain bottles. The vessels have the form of decanters imitating decorative pillows with fringes.