List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.

The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.

Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.

Objects
all museums
Clean selection
Show filters
Hide filters

Painting “Adoration of the Child” by Lorenzo Lotto

A joyful scene of the adoration of the Child (with saints: John the Baptist, Francis of Assisi, Joseph and Catherine of Alexandria) is a hidden allusion to Christ’s future fate. The Child’s deep sleep may be associated with the Redeemer’s martyr death through ancient references — Sleep (Hypnos) in the Greek mythology is the brother of Death (Thanatos).

Painting “Memento Mori”

The painting was purchased for the museum in 1945. It was created in the second half of the 18th century in one of the guilds in Stary Sącz. It is a very interesting and symbolic work of art which refers to the theme of death and transience so popular in Baroque art. The painting is divided into three parts: two of them are in the shape of a standing rectangle in the upper part and one is of an oblong shape in the lower part.

“Triptych of Saint Mary Magdalene” from Moszczenica Niżna near Stary Sącz

The painting, Triptych of Saint Mary Magdalene, from Moszczenica Niżna near Stary Sącz is preserved in a rare state of completeness. The essence of the retable can be investigated based on this example. At the end of the 15th century, the retable constituted an expanded structure composed of an immovable main panel, the movable wings attached to it; a predella, which served as a basis for the wings, the main panel, and a finial.

The “Christ on the Cross” icon

Helena Dąbczańska is a famous Lviv collector of incunabula, engravings, books, drawings, fabrics and furniture; the owner of a private museum organized in her own villa and the hostess on artistic Sunday mornings for representatives of the Lviv elite at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries.

Icon “Our Lady Hodegetria surrounded by prophets and saints”

This icon is the oldest in the collection of Nowy Sącz. The exhibit was added to the collection in 1977, after a sale offer was made by people living in Nowa Wieś, on a farm which was assigned to Polish settlers after the deportation of the Lemkos in 1947.

Edward Dwurnik, “Hunting a Dangerous Villain”

The painting was a response to Martial Law in Poland. It shows an imaginary city, which – as is the case with the majority of Dwurnik’s paintings – we view from above. At first glance, everything seems tranquil, stable and safe. Only a searching examination reveals the drama of a city taken over by the army.

Osa M50 scooter

Osa M50 oraz M52 to jedyne w historii polskiej motoryzacji seryjnie produkowane skutery. Prace nad stworzeniem polskiego skutera były prowadzone w Dziale Postępu i Sportu Warszawskiej Fabryki Motocykli przez inżynierów Krzysztofa Bruna, Jerzego Jankowskiego i Tadeusza Mathia już od 1951 roku.

“Kraków environs, a rural genre scene”

The photograph shows four women against the background of a peasant cottage. Two of them, probably models (as recorded by Lucyna Sulerzyska in the inventory sheet), clad in Kraków costumes, are standing by the entrance with their backs facing each other. On the left, two peasant women in regular clothing are sitting on the doorstep (przyzba). The whole figures can be clearly seen, whereas the cottage front can be seen only partially.

“Wawel: Cathedral’s courtyard”

This artistic photograph by Jan Motyka presents Wawel outlined with a white line, a side elevation of the Wawel cathedral with the Silver Bells’ Tower, Wawel itself, and Sigismund’s chapel. In the foreground, two men are standing in the alley; one is standing in front of the easel...

“Henryk Jordan’s Park”

The photograph shows an alley in Henryk Jordan’s Park with two distant busts of famous personalities. The white marble-sculpted busts are a noteworthy detail, the Barthesian punctum, or the intriguing elements of the picture. The bushes make up an evenly trimmed hedge. It is a stereoscopic photograph, a single print with two separate shots.

“The Lajkonik is offered a treat in front of the Town Hall”

Lajkonik is photographed slightly from the bottom, framing the torso, turned to the right. He is holding a cup in his hand; he is receiving something to drink. The City Hall is visible in the background. The photograph was taken in the 1960s or 70s. It belongs to a series of five photos by the same author...

Icon “St. Nicholas”

St. Nicholas is one of the most popular saints in Rus and Greece. He was the bishop of Myra in Asia Minor. His iconic representation was shaped at the beginning of the second millennium. The complex series which illustrate his life come from the 12th century. In panel painting, the story of his life was presented in the strip surrounding the main field of the painting, containing several smaller paintings. The central figure of St. Nicholas was presented as an old man, in bishop’s attire, in the half-figure or full-figure portrait depiction.

First aid kit

The portable first aid kit has been made of wood varnished in black. Inside the chest for the first aid kit, there are shelves, dividers and drawers. The dividers are painted in navy blue, the edges – in red. The drawers have fronts, panels and metal handles varnished in black. Each of them is additionally protected by a sliding lid.

Decorative travelling box

The decorative travelling box with a lock has the form of a chest and is made of wood, varnished in black. On the outside of the lid, there is a round plaque with a decorative border and no inscriptions.

Toy “Lajkonik’s march” by Jan Oprocha (father)

A toy cart, or actually a platform on wheels with holes to thread a pulling cord through and 31 figurines arranged on it, rocking while the toy is pulled. The whole toy, including the platform and the figurines, is made of polychrome wood. The rectangular platform with its bevelled corners and wheels are painted green. The edges are coated with white, yellow and pink paint, and the spokes are marked with yellow, blue and red.

“Portrait of two boys”

The photograph shows two boys in Kraków costumes. The photo is exceptional since it presents genuine Kraków costumes from the 1860–1880 period. On the left you can see a boy turned ¾ to the left. He is wearing a light russet coat and a Kraków four-cornered hat and is holding an Easter palm in his right hand propped against the ground. The other boy, taller and clad in a similar russet coat and a hat with feathers, is standing behind the boy with his hand on his shoulder.

Painting “Girl with Chrysanthemums” by Olga Boznańska

Above all, Olga Boznańska is a portraitist, an artist of portraits painted in muted colours, sometimes almost monochrome. The figures in her paintings are usually represented indoors, against a neutral background constructed with diffused and subdued lighting, subtly defining the space and imparting her paintings with an aura of the unreal.

Painting “Helenka with a Vase” by Stanisław Wyspiański

Portraits of children occupy a special place in Wyspiański’s artistic oeuvre. Without the unnecessary sentimentalism, treated in a natural, affectionate manner with a great dose of sensitivity and realism, and captured in new and unexpected depictions, they refreshed the usual connotations related to this genre.

“Portrait study of a boy’s head” by Antoni Gierowski

Antoni Julian Gasper Gierowski was born on 4 July 1860 in Wielgomłyny in the Radomsko district. He was educated at the Kraków School of Fine Arts in 1878–1883 and later at the Munich Academy. The painter died prematurely in 1888...

“The main gate to Henryk Jordan’s Park”

The photograph shows the main gate of the Henryk Jordan park in Kraków. In the foreground, the road has been flattened (currently, 3 May Avenue), behind which there is a wooden bridge on the River Rudawa. Next, we see a tall wooden gate, with the inscription: Miejski/ Park Dra Jordana. In the background, on the left, a wooden pavilion designated the main pavilion...