List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.

The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.

Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.

Objects
all museums
Clean selection
Show filters
Hide filters

“Germanicus” – a plaster cast of an antique sculpture

The present plaster cast of an antique statue is a copy of the original marble statue kept in the Louvre (Musée de Louvre, Department of Greek, Etruscan and Roman antiquities, Inventory No. MR 315 (Ma 1207). In the seventeenth century, the statue was placed in the gardens of Pope Sixtus V in Rome, and then in Villa Montalto-Negroni. The statue was then deemed to be a likeness of Germanicus (Gaius Claudius Drusus Caesar Germanicus, 15 BC–19 AD). In 1685, through the agency of the painter Nicolas Poussin in Rome, it was purchased by the king of France, Louis XIV. Then it was restored by François Girardon (1628–1715) and placed in the Palace of Versailles, in the Hall of Mirrors.

“Study of the ancient bust” by Wilhelm Moszyński

Little is known about Wilhelm Moszyński. He was born in Zaborów and died prematurely probably before the end of 1885. During the period 1875–1880 he was a student at the School of Fine Arts in Kraków.

“Hera of Samos” – a plaster cast of an antique sculpture

The present plaster cast is a copy of an ancient Greek statue stored in the Louvre. The sculpture was discovered in 1875 on the sacred road leading to the heraion (temple of the goddess Hera) on the island of Samos. In 1881, the statue was appropriated and taken to the Louvre, where it is still currently stored (Inventory No. Ma 686). The plaster cast from the collections of the Museum of the Academy of Fine Arts was made in the Louvre, as evidenced by a metal plate with the inscription “Musée du Louvre” on the back of the plaster figure.

“A man’s head” by Antoni Jezierski

Antoni Jezierski (1859–1939) is one of Jan Matejko’s students. He studied in 1878–1882 at the School of Fine Arts in Kraków and then, after returning from a scholarship in Italy, he enrolled in 1884 at the Composition Section run by Jan Matejko.

“Borghese gladiator” by Antoni Stopa

Antoni Stopa, a painter, writer and agrarian activist, was born on 5 August 1849 in a peasant family living in a hamlet on Mount Ostrysz near Maków (now Maków Podhalański). Stopa created under many pseudonyms, many of which related to his ancestry: AS, As, Antoni Sygoń, Antoni Sygoń of Babia Góra, Pauper of Maków, Boruta, Peasant from Babia Góra, Peasant from a village, Świtoniec, Jan Kwaśny, Jantek of Ostrysa, Jaźwiec, Kitaj, LM, Leszczak, Walenty Sygoń, Ostrysiak and Racławiak.

“Old man’s bust” by Marceli Harasimowicz

Marceli Harasimowicz was born in 1859. He spent his childhood as an émigré in Switzerland and Paris. In 1872, together with his brother and mother, he returned to Poland, where during the period 1873–1879 he studied at the School of Fine Arts in Kraków.

“Naked young man” by Władysław Rossowski

Władysław Rossowski was born in 1857 in Monastyryska near Buczacz (now Buchach in Ukraine). He was a brother of Stanisław Rossowski – a poet, writer and journalist, and father of Tadeusz – a cartoonist and painter. In 1872–1873 he attended Higher Real School in Kraków and in 1873–1874 he studied in Lviv, where he took the matriculation exam. After passing, he studied painting at the School of Fine Arts in Kraków from 1874 to 1884.

“Charioteer of Delphi” – a plaster cast of an antique figure

The original bronze statue of the Charioteer was found in 1896 under the sacred road in the area of the Sanctuary of Apollo in Delphi. It shows a charioteer. Next to the statue, there were also excavated fragments of the draft animals and a dedicatory inscription certifying that the statue had been part of a sculptural group funded by the Sicilian ruler Polyzalos.