List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Date of production 1351
- Place of creation Poland
- Dimensions height: 20.9 cm, diameter: of foot: 13.5 cm, weight: 959 g
- ID no. ZKWawel 5002
- Availability Crown Treasury
- Acquired date donated in 1965
- Object copyright Wawel Royal Castle – State Art Collection
- Digital images copyright public domain
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Małopolska's Virtual Museums Plus project
It is the oldest of the dated donations of Casimir the Great for Polish churches. The Roman form of the basic chalice components and some of its motifs (e.g. small rounded arch arcades) coexists here organically with raised Gothic ornamentation, setting this impressive vessel apart from other goldsmith works of the 14th century.more
The chalice with a circular foot, a round shaft and a large nodus, as well as a tall conical goblet with slightly round sides. The foot has a small profiled pedestal consisting of openwork quatrefoils. On the covering of the foot, against a background of engraved small scales, acanthus leaves are spirally placed. Among them are four-leaf medallions with busts of the Mother of God, Christ, and Saint Adalbert. The shaft is separated from the foot, the goblet and the nodus with a motif of obliquely twisted wire, decorated with semicircular arcades. On the nodus, there are six oval medallions of uneven shape, with busts of Mother of God, Christ, and four Evangelists (?), with small five-petal rosettes attached among them. The top and bottom parts of the nodus are ornamented with obliquely placed small oak branches with leaves and fruit, as well as with elongated traceries against a hatched background. The goblet is broad and smooth. On the edge of the foot, against a hatched background, there is an inscription of Gothic majuscule: “+ KASIMIRVS * REX * POLONIE * CON[!]PARAVIT * ANNO * DOMINI * M * CCC * LI.”
The chalice was funded by Casimir III the Great (1310-1370, king since 1333) for the Church of the Holy Virgin Mary and Archangel Michael of the Canons Regular of the Lateran in Trzemeszno, one of the main centres of Saint Adalbert's worship. It was kept there until 5 August 1940, when it was stolen by the Germans. Then it was taken to Berlin by Dr. Rühl. It was on the antiquarian market since 1960. It was offered to Wawel by Czesław Bednarczyk in 1962, and then, two years later, by Dr. Kurt Rossacher of Salzburg. Finally, it was bought by Julian Godlewski and donated to Wawel Royal Castle in 1965.
It is the oldest of the dated donations of Casimir the Great for Polish churches. The Roman form of the basic chalice components and some of its motifs (e.g. small rounded arch arcades) coexists here organically with raised Gothic ornamentation, setting this impressive vessel apart from other goldsmith works of the 14th century. The lack of distinguishing factors separating goldsmith works in Polish territory of that time makes it impossible to specify the exact place where the vessel was created.
Elaborated by Dariusz Nowacki (Wawel Royal Castle), editorial team of Małopolska’s Virtual Museums, © all rights reserved