List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Author David Haisermann Jr. (ca. 1580–after 1618)
- Date of production 1609–1612
- Place of creation Augsburg, Germany
- Dimensions height: 32 cm, width: base: 15 cm, depth: 15 cm
- Author's designation DH (tied) and city mark of Augsburg – a pine cone in a cartouche, on the clock’s mechanism; GB intertwined in an ornament on the clock face
- ID no. ZKWawel 408
- Availability Crown Treasury
- Acquired date purchased in 1925
- Object copyright Wawel Royal Castle – State Art Collection
- Digital images copyright public domain
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Małopolska's Virtual Museums Plus project
The diverse form and rich ornamentation of the clock place it among the best works of the Augsburg watchmakers of the turn of the 16th and 17th centuries.more
The diverse form and rich ornamentation of the clock place it among the best works of the Augsburg watchmakers of the turn of the 16th and 17th centuries. DH letters, placed in a cartouche with the Augsburg pine cone, imprinted on the mechanism, refer to David Haisermann, the outstanding watchmaker and creator of table clocks, including figural clocks, who collaborated with a well-known goldsmith, Matthias (Matthäus) Wallbaum (1554–1632). Ornamental motifs on the clock case were probably modelled on the many graphic designs of the goldsmith works, especially those created in the 16th and at the beginning of the 17th centuries by such artists as Paulus Flindt (1567–1631), Bernhard Zan (1569–1604), Virgil Solis (1514–1562) and Corvinianus Saur (1555/1560–1635).
In the 1st half of the 17th century, the clock was owned by Stanisław Dembiński (1571–1641) of Dembiany near Skalbmierz, who became a Cistercian abbot in Bledzew in 1618. It may be confirmed by the letters “SDAB” (Stanislaus Dembiński Abbas Bledzeviensis), placed on the inner area of the side wall, which are arranged around the Rawicz coat of arms, under a mitre with a crosier finished with a lily – the insignia of the abbot office. The “BW SVE” abbreviation, placed under the coat of arms may be understood as the motto “Beatam Virginae Salve”, probably the abbot's coat of arms. Stanisław Dembiński is described as a generous donor to the monastery in Bledzew. He was the one who funded the pipe organ, the silver candlesticks, lanterns and bells. In the Kasper Niesiecki armorial, the abbot is characterised as a person of “many functions, who gave great service to his home country, oddly at a time when the Swedes were wreaking havoc on Silesia.”
Elaborated by Stanisława Link-Lenczowska (Wawel Royal Castle), editorial team of Małopolska’s Virtual Museums, © all rights reserved