List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.

The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.

Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.

Views: 2972
(Votes: 2)
The average rating is 5.0 stars out of 5.
Print metrics
Print description

The blade, regarded as the work of the Armenians of Lviv, may be connected with the reign of John III Sobieski. Its antique-like sheath must have been made much later, as the Rococo ornament indicates. This weapon of highly decorative character is difficult to categorize unambiguously.

more

A sabre with a broad, slightly curved blade. On the face side, there is a mesh-like decoration set with gold. Pointed fields created from long leaves are densely filled with small twigs with leaves, as well as rosettes with turquoises and almandines. The gilded hilt has a pommel in the shape of an eagle head. The sabre has a cruciform cross-guard with arms curved strongly down, and a Rococo ornament in the middle of the face side, as well as stone encrustation. The wooden sheath, with gilded silver ferrules: a throat, a shoe, and a pair of mounts with rocaille motifs set with corals, was covered with gold embroidered blue velvet.
The blade, regarded as the work of the Armenians of Lviv, may be connected with the reign of John III Sobieski. Its antique-like sheath must have been made much later, as the Rococo ornament indicates. This weapon of highly decorative character is difficult to categorize unambiguously (the blade is almost straight, like that of a broadsword, and broad – like that of a dussack, but it has a sabre hilt). The sabre comes probably from the armoury of John III Sobieski in Żółkiew. In 1740, it was included in Michał Radziwiłł's collection, as part of the Sobieski family's heritage. It was plundered by the Russians in Nieśwież in 1813 and became part of the tsar's collection in Tsarskoye Selo. Since 1880, it was in the Hermitage Museum in Saint Petersburg (A 277), from where it was regained in 1924 under the Treaty of Riga.

Elaborated by Krzysztof Czyżewski (Wawel Royal Castle), editorial team of Małopolska’s Virtual Museums, © all rights reserved

less

Sabre with a sheath

Pictures

Links

Game


Recent comments

Add comment: