List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Author MS Master
- Date of production 1558
- Place of creation Kraków?
- Dimensions height: 95 cm, width: 32 cm, depth: 24 cm
- ID no. ZKWawel 880
- Availability at the “Lost Wawel” exhibition
- Collector collection of Stanisław Larysz-Niedzielski of Śledziejowice
- Acquired date purchased in 1931
- Object copyright Wawel Royal Castle – State Art Collection
- Digital images copyright public domain
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Małopolska's Virtual Museums Plus project
The sculpture comes from the Renaissance retable of the no longer existing altar from Wawel Cathedral dedicated to Saint Anthony the Abbot. The altar was dismantled in 1746. The further fate of the sculpture had remained unknown until 1900, when it became the property of Stanisław Larysz-Niedzielski of Śledziejowice.more
The sculpture depicts the standing figure of the Saint with his head tilted and his left leg slightly bent. He is holding a book in his left hand. The Saint is wearing a long habit tied with a string and a coat with its flap thrown back on his right shoulder. His face is fringed with a beard, and his head is covered with a hood. At his feet, there is a fragment of an animal (probably a pig).
The sculpture comes from the Renaissance retable of the no longer existing altar from Wawel Cathedral dedicated to Saint Anthony the Abbot. The appearance of the altar is known from the accounts of bishop inspections of the 17th and 18th centuries. The sculpture of Saint Anthony was placed on the right side of the retable, in a recess surrounded with small columns.
The altar was dismantled in 1746. The further fate of the sculpture had remained unknown until 1900, when it became the property of Stanisław Larysz-Niedzielski of Śledziejowice.
Elaborated by Joanna Winiewicz-Wolska, PhD (Wawel Royal Castle), editorial team of Małopolska’s Virtual Museums, © all rights reserved