List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Author Bartolommeo Berrecci’s workshop
- Date of production ca. 1530
- Place of creation Kraków, Poland
- Dimensions height: 134 cm, width: 53 cm, depth: 35 cm
- ID no. ZKWawel dep. 902
- Availability at the “Lost Wawel” exhibition
- Object copyright deposit of the Church of Saint Mary’s Assumption in Grodzisko near Skała
- Digital images copyright public domain
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Małopolska's Virtual Museums Plus project
The sculpture depicts the figure of a king standing in a contrapposto pose, turned slightly right.
The sculpture is a copy (with some modifications) of the Saint Sigismund's statue, made in marble, which is placed in the right niche of the southern wall of the Sigismund's Chapel (the so-called throne wall).
The sculpture depicts the figure of a king standing in a contrapposto pose, turned slightly right. His face is fringed with a long beard, and there is a crown on his head. The king is wearing a Maximilan plate armour. With his right hand, he is holding a coat slung over his left shoulder. Under the coat, one can see a long sword. He is holding a royal orb in his left hand.
The sculpture is a copy (with some modifications) of the Saint Sigismund's statue, made in marble, which is placed in the right niche of the southern wall of the Sigismund's Chapel (the so-called throne wall). Originally, it was probably placed outside the chapel, on one of the roof corners (probably on the south-west corner), along with Judith's statue. It is possible that this is the statue to which refers an agreement made in February 1529 between Seweryn Boner and Bartolommeo Berrecci, to commission statues of David and Judith that were to be placed outside the royal mausoleum. In the group of sculptures of Grodzisko, the figure was regarded as the statue depicting Duke Henry the Bearded.
Elaborated by Joanna Winiewicz-Wolska, PhD (Wawel Royal Castle), editorial team of Małopolska’s Virtual Museums, © all rights reserved