List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Author probably Józef Markowski
- Date of production early 20th century
- Place of creation Wieliczka, Poland
- Dimensions height: 190 cm (with pedestal: 245 cm), width: 60 cm, diameter: 53 cm
- ID no. MŻKW V/23
- Object copyright Kraków Salt Works Museum in Wieliczka
- Digital images copyright © all rights reserved, Kraków Salt Works Museum in Wieliczka
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Małopolska’s Virtual Museums project
The sculpture was carved in green salt and represents Saint Barbara. The figure stands on a cubic pedestal.more
The sculpture was carved in green salt and represents Saint Barbara. The figure stands on a cubic pedestal.
Salt sculptures of miners’ patronesses – St. Kinga and St. Barbara – were initially parts of the Passion Altar close to the Daniłowicz shaft at level III of the Wieliczka salt mine. The altar was described in the article by mining expert Edward Windakiewicz, entitled Kaplice w kopalni wielickiej [Chapels of the Wieliczka Salt Mine], published in 1938 in the newspaper, Życie techniczne [Technical affairs]: “Close to the Daniłowicz shaft at level III, in the stone cavity, there is a beautifully preserved altar with Jesus Christ on the cross surrounded by the figures of St. Barbara, St. Kinga and St. Anthony”. Today, in this place there is a completely different and new altar of St. Kinga. It is not known when the figures of St. Kinga and St. Barbara were removed from here. In 1956 the Wieliczka Salt Mine handed them over to the newly opened Kraków Salt Works Museum in Wieliczka. The figures of the saints were put in the Russegger II chamber, in front of the entrance to Szerzyzna [the Widening].
Elaborated by Kraków Salt Works Museum in Wieliczka, © all rights reserved