List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.

The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.

Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.

Views: 2651
(Votes: 2)
The average rating is 5.0 stars out of 5.
Print metrics
Print description

In the upper part of the bell resonator is a date, “1382”, written in Roman numerals, which helped identify the date of the casting of the bell. It is also decorated with ornamentation. In the middle of the resonator is a frieze decorated with a curved line. Above it there are three plaques depicting the crucifixion scene placed at equal intervals.

more

In the upper part of the bell resonator is a date, “1382”, written in Roman numerals, which helped identify the date of the casting of the bell. It is also decorated with ornamentation. In the middle of the resonator is a frieze decorated with a curved line. Above it there are three plaques depicting the crucifixion scene placed at equal intervals.
According to Biecz tradition, the Urban Bell welcomed Jadwiga, queen of Poland, who arrived in the town. Its cracking in the 1960s was thought to be a portent of some kind of a great disaster which would strike Biecz.

Elaborated by the Museum of the Biecz Land, editorial team of Małopolska’s Virtual Museums, © all rights reserved

less

The history of the Urban Bell in Biecz

Where does the name of the famous Bell in Biecz come from? It should probably be connected with a frequently chosen papal name. It was named most likely in honour of Pope Urban V who in 1367, on Casimir the Great's request, allowed the Dominican monastery...

more

Where does the name of the famous Bell in Biecz come from? It should probably be connected with a frequently chosen papal name. It was named most likely in honour of Pope Urban V who in 1367, on Casimir the Great's request, allowed the Dominican monastery in Biecz to be established. It is also possible that its patron was Urban IV who in 1264 established the feast of Corpus Christi, under the invocation of which operates the local parish church. Yet, the beautiful Gothic Urban Bell, one of the oldest in Poland, was initially placed in a late-Gothic bell-tower from the 15th century accompanying the parish church in Biecz. The bell does not announce feasts or ceremonies today. It cracked after the Second World War and then in 1969 it was destroyed after the unsuccessful attempt to weld it. Some part of the bell was melted and the remaining part was smashed with hammers. Probably in connection with the failed attempt to repair the bell it was decided to melt the entire bell and in order to do this it was smashed into smaller pieces. Fortunately, almost at the last moment the ancient Urban Bell was saved, finely glued together and placed in one of the branches of the Biecz Land Museum, in the so-called Kromerówka (Marcin Kromer's house). Since it is more than 600 years old, it was the witness of the most important events in the town.

Elaborated by the editorial team of Małopolska's Virtual Museums,
Licencja Creative Commons

 This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Poland License.

See the Urban Bell

less

Urban Bell

Pictures

Audio

Dzwon Urban odc. B Tells: Magdalena Zych
play
Dzwon Urban odc. A Tells: Magdalena Zych
play
Dzwon Urban [audiodeskrypcja] Tells: Fundacja na Rzecz Rozwoju Audiodeskrypcji KATARYNKA
play

Recent comments

Add comment: