List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Date of production 1938
- Place of creation New York, USA
- Dimensions height: 180 cm, width: 137 cm
- ID no. MCh-S/3533
- Object copyright Irena and Mieczysław Mazaraki Museum in Chrzanów
- Digital images copyright Irena and Mieczysław Mazaraki Museum in Chrzanów
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Małopolska's Virtual Museums project
Beautiful curtain that covers the Torah Ark altar in the synagogue, produced in New York shortly before the outbreak of World War II and brought to Poland by Mr. Zvi, son Johoszua Lehr.more
The parochet — a curtain for an altar closet in a synagogue — was made of brown plush trimmed around with a faded, once golden now beige trim with fringes at the bottom, lined with cotton lining in a maroon colour. On the face side, appliqués and inscriptions are sawn. At the top, the crown of Torah — an appliqué made of white satin trimmed with a gold thread, adorned with golden (tarnished) metal sequins and small colour glass ornaments; on both sides of the crown, the Hebrew inscription: Keter Tora [Crown of Torah], embroidered with metal threads. Below the inscription, on both sides, there are three stars of metal threads with a small glass in the middle. In the centre of the curtain, there is a sawn-on appliqué in the form of Tables of the Law made of white satin edged with a trim, with commandments embroidered with a golden metal thread, flanked by two lions set antithetically, sewn of a golden fabric, partly embroidered with golden metal threads. Below the depiction, there is a sewn-on decorative twig with sequins. At the bottom of the parochet, there is the following Hebrew donation inscription ovally arranged, embroidered with golden metal threads:
“This is a gift of Tzvi, son of Johoshua Lehr. May his wife / 698 / Brajna, daughter of Moshe Aaron, rest in peace” [based on the translation into Polish by Przemysław Piekarski].
The number 698 means the year 1938. In the middle, between the lines of the inscription, the Star of David is embroidered with sequins, with a small colour glass ornament in the middle. Below the inscription, two plant twigs are embroidered with a golden metal thread, decorated with two calyx flowers made of sequins and small glass ornaments. At the bottom of the curtain, five parallel strips of a trim were sawn on horizontally, forming a trapezium. On the back, in the bottom right-hand corner, a label of the manufacturer was sawn on the lining, with an inscription in English and Hebrew. At the top of the back, there are sewn-on metal rings for hanging.
Elaborated by Anna Sadło-Ostafin (Irena and Mieczysław Mazaraki Museum in Chrzanów), © all rights reserved