List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Date of production 18th century
- Place of creation Chrzanów, Poland
- Dimensions length: 35 cm, diameter: 2.5 cm
- ID no. MCh-H/96
- Object copyright Irena and Mieczysław Mazaraki Museum in Chrzanów
- Digital images copyright public domain
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Małopolska's Virtual Museums project
Obesłanie (plate bearing an emblem of a guild) was a characteristic element existing in the organisation of individual guilds. It was a sign used to authenticate the message being conveyed. If a messenger summoning, for example, guild members to a meeting, had an obesłanie with him, it was used to confirm that the message was from the guild master. Without this sign, the information was considered unreliable.more
Obesłanie (plate bearing an emblem of a guild) was a characteristic element existing in the organisation of individual guilds. It was a sign used to authenticate the message being conveyed. If a messenger summoning, for example, guild members to a meeting, had an obesłanie with him, it was used to confirm that the message was from the guild master. Without this sign, the information was considered unreliable.
The obesłanie of the shoemakers' guild of Chrzanów has the form of a carved and polychrome hand holding an apple, mounted on a short wooden handle.
The history of the shoemakers' guild of Chrzanów dates back to the 15th century. Initially, the brotherhood of shoemakers was mainly a rosary confraternity of religious nature. Shoemakers of Chrzanów took care of the altar of Our Lady of the Rosary in the Parish Church of St. Nicholas in Chrzanów. The guild organisation was based on the Kraków models because in 1537, at request of Piotr Ligęza, the owner of the town, shoemakers of Kraków made their statutes available to the Chrzanów guild.
In the collection of the Museum in Chrzanów, there are other monuments connected with activities of the guild of shoemakers that are worth seeing: a document issued by the subsequent owner of Chrzanów — Andrzej Samuel Dembiński, dating back to 1641, which specified, among others things, responsibilities and privileges of guild members; a book of admissions to the guild from the years 1603—1790; a list of members of the Brotherhood of Shoemakers from the years 1884—1948; a map of land of the shoemakers’ guild of 1826 and a guild seal of the Brotherhood of Shoemakers of the 19th century.
Elaborated by Anna Sadło-Ostafin (Irena and Mieczysław Mazaraki Museum in Chrzanów), editorial team of Małopolska’s Virtual Museums, © all rights reserved