List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Author Antoni Madeyski
- Date of production 1913–1914
- Place of creation Rome
- Dimensions height: 61 cm, length: 50 cm, width: 35 cm
- ID no. MT-A-M/165
- Branch Town Hall in Tarnów
- Collector exhibit from the collection of Sanguszko Princes
- Object copyright District Museum in Tarnów
- Digital images copyright public domain
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Małopolska's Virtual Museums project
In the collection there is a bust sculpture depicting an image of Roman Damian Sanguszko (1832–1917). Roman Damian was the eldest son of Władysław and Izabela née Lubomirski, and a landowner in the Zaslav Region, an heir to the family property in Volyn. He managed property in the Slavuta Region and the famous horse stud in Chrystivka.more
Among the collections of Sanguszkos, there is a group of 120 objects (painting, sculpture, drawing) forming the iconography of Sanguszko princes.
In the collection there is a bust sculpture depicting an image of Roman Damian Sanguszko (1832–1917). Roman Damian was the eldest son of Władysław and Izabela née Lubomirski, and a landowner in the Zaslav Region, an heir to the family property in Volyn. He managed property in the Slavuta Region and the famous horse stud in Chrystivka.
Roman Damian Sanguszko spent considerable amounts on charitable causes, supporting the Ossolineum Library, as well as the Czapski Museum in Kraków. He dealt with the ordering of family archival and library collections. Through the purchase of antiquarian objects, he created a collection of valuable engravings of old European schools of this craft. On November 1, 1917, he was murdered by the Bolsheviks in Sławut. The Sanguszkos residence there was completely plundered and burnt.
The bust of the prince was made in white marble by the famous sculptor, Antoni Madeyski (1862–1939). At first, the artist studied at the Kraków School of Fine Arts; he continued his studies at the Vienna Academy as well as at St. Petersburg. He achieved success at many exhibitions. In 1898, he permanently moved to Rome, where he lived to the end of his life. Two tombstones in Wawel cathedral, those of Queen Jadwiga and Władysław Warneńczyk, brought fame to the artist, as well as numerous orders from, among others, the Polish aristocracy. Antoni Madeyski was friends with the Sanguszkos; he was a frequent visitor to the Palace in Gumniska. After the outbreak of the war in 1914, he visited the villa of Konstancja Sanguszkowa in Pau (France).
The bust of Roman Damian Sanguszko was completed in Rome in 1913–1914. The artist is also the author of numerous portraits of members of the Sanguszko princely house. The presented sculpture comes from the collection of the dukes of Sanguszko, from Gumniska near Tarnów.
Elaborated by District Museum in Tarnów, © all rights reserved