List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Author Johann Gottfried Schlaubitz (active: 1733—1771) and Christoph Hecker (active: 1751—1784)
- Date of production 1756—1766
- Place of creation Gdańsk, Poland
- Dimensions height: 25.5 cm, length: 37 cm, width: 20 cm, weight: 2275 g (body: 1643 g, lid: 632 g)
- ID no. MT.IV.103/a-b
- Collector exhibit from the collection of Sanguszko Princes
- Object copyright District Museum in Tarnów
- Digital images copyright public domain
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Małopolska's Virtual Museums project
Sets of tableware were initially assembled of objects made in a different style, time, and places. Only in the 17th and 18th centuries uniformly decorated tableware, known today as services, began to appear. Until the beginning of the 19th century, there were no strict rules determining what dishes should be included in such a set; therefore, they were put together according to current fashions or the personal preference of the person ordering them...more
In old Polish noble homes, eating together and celebrating a feast was a very important aspect of social life. Culinary customs demanded that guests should be treated to a large number of dishes, whereas less importance was given to their refinement. The change of these customs took place only from the 18th century onwards, under the influence of Western European cuisine — especially French — when quantity turned into quality and hosts began to serve much lighter and more sophisticated dishes.
A characteristic feature of Polish aristocratic culture of this period was a love for splendour and its ostentatious manifestation. All ceremonies and special occasions were an excellent opportunity to dazzle guests with the richness of the table. A large number of dishes in wealthy homes resulted, among other things, from the fact that for each of the numerous dishes served one after the other in a relatively short time clean tableware was required; dirty dishes were not washed and served again, because this would have taken too long. In addition, before serving, each of the dishes was to be properly arranged on a platter and decorated, which was a very time-consuming activity, done before the feast, not during it.
Sets of tableware were initially assembled of objects made in a different style, time, and places. Only in the 17th and 18th centuries uniformly decorated tableware, known today as services, began to appear. Until the beginning of the 19th century, there were no strict rules determining what dishes should be included in such a set; therefore, they were put together according to current fashions or the personal preference of the person ordering them.
One of the most important elements of the site were terynas — soup vases — which became part of the tableware sets in the 18th century. The presented copy belongs to the silver tableware set of the Sanguszko family and was made in Gdańsk by the famous goldsmith, Johann Gottfried Schlaubitz, with the assistance his former pupil, Christoph Hecker. The “ES” monogram, present on all the elements of the tableware, refers to Prince Eustachy Erazm Sanguszko (1768–1844).
Elaborated by Łukasz Sęk (District Museum in Tarnów), © all rights reserved