List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Author unknown glass works
- Date of production mid–18th century
- Place of creation Poland
- Dimensions height: 30.7 cm, diameter: 13.5 cm
- ID no. MT.II.180
- Object copyright District Museum in Tarnów
- Digital images copyright public domain
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Małopolska's Virtual Museums project
In the case of the Tarnów collection, the cultural background of the epoch has its counterparts in the Sarmatian culture, characterised by the owner’s need for the ostentatious presentation of his affluence and wealth. The primacy of nobility and magnates, who were in possession of huge estates and enjoyed wide privileges in the 18th century, influenced the development and industrialisation of the country.more
In the case of the Tarnów collection, the cultural background of the epoch has its counterparts in the Sarmatian culture, characterised by the owner’s need for the ostentatious presentation of his affluence and wealth. The primacy of nobility and magnates, who were in possession of huge estates and enjoyed wide privileges in the 18th century, influenced the development and industrialisation of the country. It also sparked the need to show one’s wealth and social position. In noble and aristocratic houses, tableware occupied a position equal to china and silverware. Glass objects, their form and purpose, directly reflected tastes and penchants of those who ordered their commission and collected them.
Due to the large size of the dish (16.5 cm), the “Corda Fidelium” (“Hearts of the Faithful”) cup belongs to the group of the so-called cheer cups (also known as transitory cups), which occupied a separate position in the feast ritual, being passed from one hand to the next during the ceremony. In the 18th century the cups were frequently produced as an occasional gift honouring a person or commemorating a special event also in Polish glasswork factories.
The Tarnów cup, which bears the inscription: CORDA FIDELIUM, can be assumedly associated with Prince Janusz Aleksander Sanguszko (1712–1775), the Lithuanian sword–bearer, Lithuanian court marshal in the period between 1750 and 1760, the last heir in tail of the Ostrogski family, married to Konstancja née Denhoff in 1731, who was the relative of the Sieniawa owners of the crystal glasswork factory in Lubaczów. He was the first son of Paweł Karol Sanguszko and his second wife Anna Maria Lubomirska.
The cup comes from the collection of the Sanguszko Princes from Gumniska near Tarnów. From 1945 it has belonged in the collection of the District Museum in Tarnów and is permanently displayed in the Tarnów Town Hall.
Elaborated by the District Museum in Tarnów, © all rights reserved