List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Author Assmus Virian?
- Date of production 1639
- Place of creation Gdańsk, Poland
- Dimensions height: 62 cm, width: 20 cm
- ID no. MT.IV.1488
- Availability in stock
- Object copyright District Museum in Tarnów
- Digital images copyright public domain
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Małopolska's Virtual Museums project
Among the memorabilia of the old town authorities stored in the collection of the Museum in Tarnów, a special place is occupied by a set of three identical tin jugs. These vessels were created in Gdańsk in 1639, probably in the workshop of the master Assmus Virian.more
Among the memorabilia of the old town authorities stored in the collection of the Museum in Tarnów, a special place is occupied by a set of three identical tin jugs. These vessels were created in Gdańsk in 1639, probably in the workshop of the master Assmus Virian. The fact that these jugs belonged to the council of the city of Tarnów is shown by the relevant Latin inscriptions engraved on each pitcher: GEDINENSI / FACTVM / ANNO DNI / 1639 / PRO CIVIT /ATE / TARNO / VIENSIS (from Latin, meaning: “Made in Gdansk in the Year of the Lord, 1639, for the city of Tarnów”). The inscriptions also inform us that the pitchers were made for the City of Tarnów: CVRA SPECTABILIS / BB DOMINI / CONSVLIS TARNOVIENSIS (from Latin, meaning: “By the efforts of the Glorious Lord BB, councillor of Tarnów”). The initials “BB” refer to the townsman, Baltazar Bujakowicz, multiple-time councillor and mayor of Tarnów, famous for his wealth and generosity, which allows us to conclude that he was the one who financed this purchase. The sum must have been considerable, because, according to the inscription on the pitchers, twelve were purchased, that is, as many as the number of the councillors sitting on the council.
Unfortunately, only four have survived to our times, three of which are in the collection of the Tarnów museum, while the fourth is kept in the Princes Czartoryski Museum in Kraków. Each pitcher measures over 60 cm in height, weighs about 6 kg and has hallmarks confirming the high quality of the product and indicating the use of the highest quality tin (without the addition of lead).
These are vessels with spherical bodies, high feet and necks, decorated with engraved ornamentation in the form of grapes, fruits, flowers, festoons, and birds. Ornamented cartouches with the Leliwa coat of arms and the initials “C[ivitas] T[arnoviensis]” were mounted on the necks (from the Latin, meaning: “city of Tarnów”). This type of slender pitcher was produced, from the 15th century, by tin ware makers in Rhineland, Bavaria, and Mecklenburg for city halls. In paste centuries, pitchers owned by the councillors testified to the wealth of the city and raised its prestige. It seems that these pitchers were primarily symbolic and that their utilitarian functions were of secondary importance. In 1927, the pitchers were handed over by the city hall to the museum's collections, as one of the most valuable items of memorabilia related to the city's history.
Elaborated by Łukasz Sęk (District Museum in Tarnów), © all rights reserved