List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Author Jana Zapolya
- Date of production September 25, 1528
- Place of creation Tarnów, Poland
- Dimensions height: 514 mm, length: 576 mm, diameter: ca. 110 mm, seal broken
- ID no. MTH-16
- Branch Main Building
- Object copyright District Museum in Tarnów
- Digital images copyright public domain
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Małopolska's Virtual Museums project
On the 29th of September 1528, in the castle in Tarnów, John, the King of Hungary, Dalmatia, and Croatia, Margrave of Moravia and Lusatia, Duke of Silesia, granted the town of Tarnów, in return for the hospitality provided by Jan, Count of Tarnów, Voivode of Rus, 500 florins of annual income derived from the Košice tricesima, which was a fee charged from merchants entering the Kingdom of Hungary.more
On the 29th of September 1528, in the castle in Tarnów, John, the King of Hungary, Dalmatia, and Croatia, Margrave of Moravia and Lusatia, Duke of Silesia, granted the town of Tarnów, in return for the hospitality provided by Jan, Count of Tarnów, Voivode of Rus, 500 florins of annual income derived from the Košice tricesima, which was a fee charged from merchants entering the Kingdom of Hungary.
The document, measuring 57.5 x 32.08 centimetres, was drawn up in Latin. A red, wax, round seal hangs from a red silk cord, with the image of the coat of arms of the Kingdom of Hungary; the coat of arms of John Zapolya is to be found on the heart shield; unfortunately, the wording has been erased. Despite the fact that Tarnów – thanks to the powerful Tarnowski family – was clearly present on the political map of 16th century Poland, it was certainly not the place from which the royal power in Hungary could and should be exercised. How John Zapolya turned up in Tarnów has thus become an interesting question.
In 1526, after the death of Louis II of Hungary in the Battle of Mohacs, John Zapolya was elected King of Hungary by the noble assembly. Meanwhile, the Hungarian parliament, by virtue of the Treaty of Vienna of 1515, appointed Ferdinand Habsburg – the younger brother of Emperor Charles V – to the throne. A civil war began. John Zapolya, fearing for his life, escaped to Poland, where he initially stayed at the castle of Marcin Kamieniecki in Odrzykoń near Krosno, but, eventually, he made use of the invitation from Hetman Jan Tarnowski.
John Zapolya’s stay in Tarnów lasted five months, from April to September 1528. This time was spent in an effort to regain the Hungarian crown by summoning help from magnates in Poland and France, and even from Pope Clement VII of the mighty House of Medici. At the same time, George Martinuzzi, the abbot of Czestochowa, promoted his cause in Hungary. Eventually, with the help of Jarosław Łaski – provincial governor of Sieradz – he began talks with the Turkish Sultan Suleiman. After signing an agreement with him at the end of September, he went to Hungary with the army he had assembled. The victorious march was stopped at Vienna, but, eventually, in 1538, John Zapolya and Ferdinand signed a secret agreement in Varadyn, in which they divided the country into two parts: the south-west, where the Habsburg king was supposed to reign; and the north-east, where John Zapolya maintained his power.
Elaborated by Janusz Kozioł (District Museum in Tarnów), © all rights reserved