List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Date of production 1898
- Place of creation Podegrodzie, Poland
- Dimensions height: 70 cm, width: 124 cm, depth: 67 cm
- ID no. MNS 2572 EI/2539
- Branch The Sądecki Ethnographic Park
- Object copyright Nowy Sącz District Museum
- Digital images copyright public domain
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Małopolska's Virtual Museums project
The chest was part of the dowry of a bride. The girl held in it her dowry – festive shirts, petticoats, skirts, aprons, scarves, true coral beads, homemade linen, and sometimes embroidered tablecloths. When it was “moved” to her husband's house, the lid of the chest was opened so that the neighbours could see the gathered dowry.more
Wedding chests were present in every cottage; sometimes, they were passed from mother to daughter for several generations. They were richly painted with floral patterns. Important events from the life of the family and the household were recorded on the inside of the lid.
The chest of Podegrodzie has rich decorative painting and interesting colours. The background, painted dark green, consists of separated, richly framed, decorative fields (two on the longer walls and lid, one on the side walls). The decoration includes vases with various colourful bouquets in dark blue ovals. Inside the chest, there is an inner box with a lid, for valuable items.
While looking at this exhibit, it is worth paying attention to its date, which may be found on the inside of the lid, where there is the following ornate inscription, made with red paint: “I H S A.D. 1898 19./7.”
Elaborated by Barbara Romańska (Nowy Sącz District Museum), © all rights reserved