List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Date of production 18th century
- Place of creation Jastrzębik, Poland
- Dimensions height: 50.5 cm, width: 98 cm, depth: 26 cm
- ID no. MNS/708/S
- Branch The Gothic House
- Availability “The Orthodox Church art from the 15th to the 19th century“ exhibition
- Object copyright Nowy Sącz District Museum
- Digital images copyright public domain
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Małopolska's Virtual Museums project
The object comes from an Orthodox church in Jastrzębik, a village located to the south-west of Krynica. It is one of the two Orthodox tabernacles owned by the Museum in Nowy Sącz. These are extremely rare and valuable exhibits due to the time of their creation and rich painting decoration.more
The tabernacle has been in the Nowy Sącz collection since 1950. It arrived at the museum as a result of the action of securing the property formerly belonging to Lemko people. This action was carried out in 1947, by the Provincial Conservator of Monuments in Kraków, on the recommendation of the Ministry of Culture and Art, in connection with the mass deportation of the Lemkos. At that time, a group of historians and conservators toured Lemko villages in the Nowy Sącz area, collecting objects found in attics and lean-tos. The artefacts left behind by the departing inhabitants – which had been exposed to destruction or theft – were deposited in the rented Museum Depot in Muszyna, after having been labelled with cards stating the name of the town.
The kiwot from Jastrzębik has the form of a box, consisting of a central upper part, housing the inside of the tabernacle, closed with a door, and two lower quarters on both of its sides. There are volute consoles attached to the sides of the kiwot in the upper and lower parts. The whole object is decorated with paintings depicting Passion themes, with iconographic and stylistic references to the scenes depicting the Passion of the Lord, popular in Lesser Polish paintings and widespread in western art at the end of the Middle Ages. In the middle part, the door features Christ resurrected, above whose head the Holy Spirit rises. On the side quarters, there are scenes of flagellation and crowning with thorns. On the back of the tabernacle, in the middle, Christ is shown hanging on a double-barred cross, and, in the side fields, there are paintings with figures of the Mother of God and St. John, inscribed in Cyrillic and set on a hilly, dark green meadow.
Elaborated by Edyta Ross-Pazdyk (Nowy Sącz District Museum), © all rights reserved