List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Date of production 1685
- Place of creation Królowa Ruska, Poland
- Dimensions height: 110.5 cm, width: 97 cm, depth: 60 cm
- ID no. MNS/832/S
- Branch The Gothic House
- Availability “The Orthodox Church art from the 15th to the 19th century“ exhibition
- Object copyright Nowy Sącz District Museum
- Digital images copyright public domain
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Małopolska's Virtual Museums project
The exhibit comes from an Orthodox church in the village of Królowa Ruska (after the displacement of the Lemkos, it was named Królowa Górna). Originally, the pulpit consisted of three parts: a canopy with an image of the Holy Spirit, a basket and a casing of the stairs with a balustrade in the form of a rhomboid board, with a painted representation of a two-horse cart with the prophet Elijah rising to the sky on a fiery cloud.more
The pulpit has been in the Nowy Sącz collection since 1950. It arrived at the museum as a result of the action of securing the property formerly belonging to Lemko people. This action was carried out in 1947, by the Provincial Conservator of Monuments in Kraków, on the recommendation of the Ministry of Culture and Art, in connection with the mass deportation of the Lemkos. At that time, a group of historians and conservators toured Lemko villages in the Nowy Sącz area, collecting objects found in attics and lean-tos. The artefacts left behind by the departing inhabitants – which had been exposed to destruction or theft – were deposited in the rented Museum Depot in Muszyna, after having been labelled with cards stating the name of the town.
Under the painting, there is the following dedication, with a date: “Vasil, mayor of Królowa village, placed this pulpit, for his parents Timofey, Irina, for the remission of his sins. In the month of September, the 2nd day, in the year of our Lord, 1685.”
The pulpit is one of the very few preserved church pulpits held in Polish museum collections. At the permanent exhibition of church art in the Regional Museum in Nowy Sącz, only the basket of the pulpit is exhibited. It has a polygon plan; the walls are divided by Corinthian columns at the front, with stems entwined by vines. Between them, in semi-circularly closed fields, are the figures of the saintly Fathers of the Church, holding a book in their hands, bearing their names in Cyrillic. From the left, there are depictions of: St. Vladimir, the great Prince of Kiev, called “the Beautiful Sunshine”, dressed in princely vestments, with a crown on his head and a sceptre and cross in his hands; then, St. Basil, St. Gregory and St. John, dressed in liturgical vestments holding pastorals and books in his hands. At the base of the pulpit, between the brackets supporting the columns, there is a smooth strip, on which is written the following Cyrillic sentence referring to St. Vladimir: “Being like a merchant looking for beautiful pearls, as an equal to apostles and common teachers.”
Elaborated by Edyta Ross-Pazdyk (Nowy Sącz District Museum), © all rights reserved