List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Date of production 17th century
- Place of creation Bogusza, Poland
- Dimensions height: 56 cm, width: 30.5 cm
- ID no. MNS/858/S
- Branch The Gothic House
- Availability “The Orthodox Church art from the 15th to the 19th century“ exhibition
- Acquired date 1950
- Object copyright Nowy Sącz District Museum
- Digital images copyright public domain
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Małopolska's Virtual Museums project
The cross comes from an Orthodox church in Bogusza, a village located to the south-east of Nowy Sącz. It is one of the five Lemko napierstolny crosses [altar crosses], which can be found in the Museum in Nowy Sącz. Due to its decorative form, it is displayed in the permanent exhibition of the Orthodox church art.more
The cross has been in the Nowy Sącz collection since 1950. It arrived at the museum as a result of the action of securing the property formerly belonging to Lemko people. This action was carried out in 1947, by the Provincial Conservator of Monuments in Kraków, on the recommendation of the Ministry of Culture and Art, in connection with the mass deportation of the Lemkos. At that time, a group of historians and conservators toured Lemko villages in the Nowy Sącz area, collecting objects found in attics and lean-tos. The artefacts left behind by the departing inhabitants – which had been exposed to destruction or theft – were deposited in the rented Museum Depot in Muszyna, after having been labelled with cards stating the name of the town.
The cross stands on a profiled foot with a circular basis, changing into a high, smooth shaft. The three-pointed arms of the cross are decorated with gold-plated recesses, rails, and round bumps. Like all Lemko altar crosses, it is decorated bilaterally with figural depictions. Usually the crucifixion was depicted on one side of the cross; while, on the other, the scenes of the Lord's Baptism, Resurrection or images of Our Lady of Sorrows were placed. In the exhibit from the Regional Museum in Nowy Sącz, the scenes of the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Christ were shown in the oval panels at the intersection of the arms, painted on a gold background, with black paint marking the contours.
Elaborated by Edyta Ross-Pazdyk (Nowy Sącz District Museum), © all rights reserved