List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Performed by factory managed by Jan Madżarski
- Date of production ca. 1780
- Place of creation Słuck, Poland
- Dimensions length: 447 cm, width: 36 cm
- ID no. MNK-XIX-2289
- Branch Main Building
- Gallery Gallery of Decorative Art
- Acquired date 1920, donated by Feliks Jasieński
- Object copyright The National Museum in Kraków
- Digital images copyright public domain
- Digitalisation The National Museum in Kraków
The sashes worn with the kontusz by the nobility of the Republic of Poland are of Eastern origin. In Poland they became popular by the agency of Armenians, who first brought them from Persia and Turkey, and later initiated their production in the workshops set up in Poland. The best-known manufacturing factory was located in Słuck.more
The sashes worn with the kontusz by the nobility of the Republic of Poland are of Eastern origin. In Poland they became popular by the agency of Armenians, who first brought them from Persia and Turkey, and later initiated their production in the workshops set up in Poland. The best-known manufacturing factory was located in Słuck. Other Persian workshops operated in Lipków, Gdańsk, Kraków, Grodno, Kobyłka, Korzec and Nieśwież. In order to meet the huge demand for kontusz sashes in the 2nd half of the 18th century, they were also woven in Lyon, France.
The kontusz sash was composed of a long middle part and a decorative finish known as heads and narrow hems, the so-called bands. The whole middle field was divided into narrow, transverse stripes known as little fields. The heads were most frequently decorated with two motifs of flower twigs. The workshop signatures were often placed in the head corners.
Elaborated by Joanna R. Kowalska (The National Museum in Kraków), © all rights reserved