List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Date of production 1st half of the 10th century
- Place of creation Lorraine or Alemannia
- Dimensions height: 10.8 cm, diameter: 10.8 cm, 13.4 cm
- ID no. MNK-IV-Z-1072
- Branch Main Building
- Gallery Gallery of Decorative Art
- Acquired date purchased in 1910
- Object copyright The National Museum in Kraków
- Digital images copyright public domain
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Małopolska's Virtual Museums project
The Włocławek cup is the most precious and one of the oldest exhibits of decorative art from the collections at the National Museum in Kraków. It was made in the 1st half of the 10th century, presumably in a workshop located on the territory of Lorraine or Alemannia.more
The Włocławek cup is the most precious and one of the oldest exhibits of decorative art from the collections at the National Museum in Kraków. It was made in the 1st half of the 10th century, presumably in a workshop located on the territory of Lorraine or Alemannia. It was forged in silver, bears traces of gilding and also an engraved, punched (by making holes in a metal object), nielloed decoration. On the surface of the vessel with four convex medallions, there are eight scenes describing the history of the deliverance of Israel from captivity of the Midianites by Gideon (the Old Testament, the Book of Judges, chapters VI—VII), completed with a plant and geometric ornament. The cup was presumably a liturgical vessel, probably a chalice. It was ploughed near Włocławek, in the vicinity of the road to Brześć Kujawski by Marcin Marciniak and Jan Sapiński on 3 May 1909. The cup, given to Reformed Franciscan priests from Włocławek by its finders, was conserved in a workshop of the Łopieński brothers in Warsaw. The cup was deposited in 1910 in the National Museum in Kraków upon the initiative of Priest Władysław Górzyński, the canon of the chapter of Włocławek. The exhibit was purchased for the collection in the same year; payment was made in two instalments of 1000 koruna.
Elaborated by Alicja Kilijańska (The National Museum in Kraków), © all rights reserved