List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Date of production 19th century
- Dimensions height: ca. 10.5 cm
- ID no. 427/96
- Object copyright City Museum in Wadowice
- Digital images copyright public domain
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Małopolska's Virtual Museums project
The seal consists of a wooden handle and a brass seal matrix. The handle is made of wood, painted dark. The seal presses the coat of arms of the Austria-Hungary Empire, the so-called small version of coat of arms, which was in force from 1815 until 1915. It is surrounded by an inscription: “IMPERIAL AND ROYAL (C.K.) DISTRICT STAROST K.K. BEZIRKSHAUPTMANN WADOWICE” in a sealing wax.more
The seal consists of a wooden handle and a brass seal matrix. The handle is made of wood, painted dark. The seal presses the coat of arms of the Austria-Hungary Empire, the so-called small version of coat of arms, which was in force from 1815 until 1915. It is surrounded by an inscription: “IMPERIAL AND ROYAL (C.K.) DISTRICT STAROST K.K. BEZIRKSHAUPTMANN WADOWICE” in a sealing wax.
It was a sign of recognition of the Wadowice District established by virtue of the minister of state’s regulation from 1867 (in the time of the Austrian Partition). Earlier, since 1819, Wadowice was the seat of the cyrkuł (an administrative unit), one of 19, which Galicia had been divided into. It covered the area of the town and the Biała River. Since then, and until now, Wadowice has been the centre of administration, judiciary and other institutions important for social life in the country. Back then the Wadowice Starosty covered four judicial districts — Andrychów, Kalwaria, Wadowice and Zator. Districts were governed by starosts nominated by a governor. They were the lowest government authority. Autonomous power was exercised by the district council in Wadowice as a local government unit. In connection with the introduction of a new administrative unit in Wadowice–cyrkuł, prohibition against the Jews’ settlement, that is the rule “de non tolerandis iudaeis”, which had been valid since 1754, was abolished.
The seal is kept in the museum archive. It is an exhibit which invokes the history of Wadowice in the time of the Austrian Partition when the important development of the town was dated. In those days a powerful garrison had its base here; that is why a barracks, a hospital, and a town-hall were built. Significant development of education and culture took place. A lower secondary school was established and a separate building was built for this purpose. A circuit court with a separate building was organised, the Carmelites monastery together with a church on the Górnica Hill and a building for the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth came into being. The origin of the Wadowice industry arose at the turn of the century.
The seal can be a starting point to discuss the political system and functioning of the municipal authority in the time of the Austrian Partition. It can also initiate reflection on sigillography, which refers to the study and history of seals. Many seals from different periods of the town’s history can be found in the museum’s collection.
Elaborated by City Museum in Wadowice, © all rights reserved