List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.

The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.

Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.

Views: 3689
(Votes: 2)
The average rating is 5.0 stars out of 5.
Print metrics
Print description

This is a tropical uniform: with a French uniform type jacket, pants, shirt with a tie, and a hat. It is an RAF uniform with Polish elements (on the basis of the uniform regulations in force since 1 January 1942, outside Polish borders). It includes Polish buttons, an — eagle model of 1936 ...

more

This is a tropical uniform: with a French uniform type jacket, pants, shirt with a tie, and a hat. It is an RAF uniform with Polish elements (on the basis of the uniform regulations in force since 1 January 1942, outside Polish borders). It includes Polish buttons, an — eagle model of 1936 (with later changes) on the cap, and the Polish navigator's badge. The uniform belonged to Major Navigator Eugeniusz Arciuszkiewicz, who later was promoted to the rank of Lt. Col. Navigator, and was one of the most outstanding Polish aviation officers.
Eugeniusz Arciuszkiewicz, born in 1907, was an officer in the inter-war period of the 5 Air Regiment in Lviv. In the defensive war of 1939, he served in the rank of Capt. Obs. of the 56 “Karpaty” Army Observation Squadron. Then, he joined the Air Force in the West (service number P-0137). He was awarded the Virtuti Militari Cross, V class and the Distinguished Flying Cross.
He was the commander of 1586 Squadron for Special Tasks from 14 June to 6 November 1944: he commanded the Squadron during its daring flights over the fighting in Warsaw during the 1944 uprising.
After the dissolution of the 1586 Squadron for Special Tasks, he was the commander of 301 Bomber Squadron — “Pomeranian Land of Defenders of Warsaw” — until the end of the war. He died on 10 December 1983 in Toronto, Canada, and was buried there.

Elaborated by Polish Aviation Museum, © all rights reserved

less

Rodin and Matejko – inspirations for industrial designers and the navigator badge

The history of the navigator badge dates back to 1918 and the rebirth of the Republic of Poland. As a result of Poland's having recovered its independence, new symbols, official forms and badges had to be designed. This mission was entrusted to artists – industrial designers...

more

The history of the navigator badge dates back to 1918 and the rebirth of the Republic of Poland. As a result of Poland's having recovered its independence, new symbols, official forms and badges had to be designed. This mission was entrusted to artists – industrial designers.
This also applies to the aviation badge. Initially, Polish pilots carried aviation badges of the occupying states. The task of designing a new model of the badge was assigned to a sculptor and medal maker, Władysław Gruberski (1873−1932), professor at the Warsaw Academy of Fine Arts.
Gruberski was an acclaimed artist of his time with many commemorative badges, medals and sculptures to his credit. He studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Kraków. While in Paris, he was influenced by August Rodin, a great French sculptor of the era of Impressionism and Symbolism. A direct inspiration behind the design of the badge was probably the painting from the hall of the Lviv Polytechnic, made in accordance to Jan Matejko’s sketch that featured, among others, an eagle with a laurel wreath in its beak. The badge was approved on 19 February 1919 by order no. 24/19, signed by Colonel Jan Wroczyński, head of the Ministry of Military Affairs. Many variants and classes of the badge for various aviation specialties followed, but all of them share Gruberski’s eagle motif. Interestingly enough, design was not the only passion for the professor − he was also known as an Olympian. Between 1912 and 1948, the Olympics featured an Olympic Art and Literature Competition for writers, architects and artists. Władysław Gruberski was a member of the Polish Artists Representation at the 9th Olympic Games in Amsterdam in 1928.

Elaborated by Dawid Karamon (Polish Aviation Museum in Kraków), Editorial team of Małopolska’s Virtual Museums, © all rights reserved

See which artists whose works are presented in Małopolska’s Virtual Museums took inspiration from August Rodin’s work.

less

Uniform of a navigator major (S/Ldr) of Eugeniusz Arciuszkiewicz

Pictures


Recent comments

Add comment: