List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Performed by Warsaw TV Set Production Plant
- Date of production 1959
- Place of creation Warsaw, Poland
- Dimensions height: 46.3 cm, length: 53.7 cm, width: 52.5 cm
- ID no. MIM 279/VI–51
- Object copyright The Municipal Engineering Museum
- Digital images copyright public domain
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Małopolska's Virtual Museums project
Following the Wisła TV set, the black and white Belweder TV set was the second TV set to be produced in Poland and the first one entirely designed in our country. Laboratory works commenced in 1955 with the assumption that its production would be based on technologies available in Poland, on the contrary the Wisła TV set was produced on the basis of Soviet license and parts.more
Following the Wisła TV set, the black and white Belweder TV set was the second TV set to be produced in Poland and the first one entirely designed in our country. Laboratory works commenced in 1955 with the assumption that its production would be based on technologies available in Poland, on the contrary the Wisła TV set was produced on the basis of Soviet license and parts.
Belweder was produced by Warszawskie Zakłady Telewizyjne [Warsaw TV Set Production Plant] from 1957 to 1965. Recognising the great significance of television as a perfect medium for propaganda purposes, communist authorities provided large funds for its development. Unlike Polish scooters, there were virtually no problems with the supply of necessary materials such as semiconductors, ray tubes, capacitors or new types of tubes. Obviously, the number of manufactured TV sets increased. Demand for TV sets was enormous, especially that since 1953 television programmes had been broadcast on a regular basis. Despite the fact that television programme was originally broadcast only for half an hour once a week in Warsaw and its surroundings, it was enough to gather masses of viewers before TV sets. When regional TV centres were launched in the 1960s and TV was broadcast in the whole country, the TV set became an especially desirable item.
In 1958, approx. 60,000 Belweder TV sets were produced alone. Their high price (ca. PLN 7,000 compared to the average salary of PLN 1,000–2,000) definitely made them a luxury item.
Produced for less than 10 years, Belweder was very popular and innovative for those times. This black and white receiver had a rectangular cathode ray tube separated by a glass to prevent implosion. It was designed for 12 channels and, what was especially interesting, was that it was also designed for VHF radio stations. It could also be regulated by a remote control linked with a cable. Belweder was produced with two different screen sizes, 14 and 17 inches. The only differences were the casing and the size of the CTR.
The TV set casing was made from a fibreboard covered with veneer. On the rear fibreboard cover was the manufacturer’s data (name, type, country and year). Speakers were located on the right and left sides of the casing. In the front, below the CRT, there were knobs for the regulation of volume, timbre, vertical and horizontal sync signals, contrast and the channel switch with the adjustment knob. Using a remote control, it was possible to adjust the screen contrast and brightness. At the back of the TV set, there were sockets for a double antenna and an adapter for remote adjustment and a knob for regulating the display sharpness and width.
Elaborated by the Municipal Engineering Museum, © all rights reserved