List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Date of production ca. 1942–1943
- Dimensions height: 216 cm, width: 351 cm
- ID no. not recorded as part of the collection of the Historical Museum of the City of Kraków (part of the building)
- Branch Oscar Schindler's Factory
- Object copyright Historical Museum of the City of Kraków
- Digital images copyright all rights reserved, HMCK
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Małopolska's Virtual Museums project
Schindler’s office in the administrative building of Deutsche Emailwarenfabrik (DEF) was located on the second floor, right above the factory gate. One could enter the office through the secretariat, where a decorated architectural detail has been preserved on the ceiling—the place for a plafond lamp.more
Schindler’s office in the administrative building of Deutsche Emailwarenfabrik (DEF) was located on the second floor, right above the factory gate. One could enter the office through the secretariat, where a decorated architectural detail has been preserved on the ceiling — the place for a plafond lamp. In the office, apart from the map, only decorative volutes under the ceiling have survived until today — one above the map, the other one at the opposite end of the room. Unfortunately, no photographs documenting the original appearance of the office remained.
The map of Europe hanging in the office was created in about 1942—1943. It was made in the stucco technique, lands were marked yellow, whereas the water areas blue. On the map there are major European cities with names in German. The map was repainted after the war and the countries created after 1945 were marked on it. After the building was taken over by the Kraków authorities in 2008, the conservators under the supervision of Bożena Boba-Dyga removed the post-war layers of paint and uncovered the original map, which became one of the most important exhibits of the permanent exhibition, “Kraków Under Nazi Occupation from 1939 until 1945.”
However, it was a close shave and we would not be able to watch it today. During the restoration works carried out in the building from 2007 the partition walls of the rooms on the first and second floor were demolished. Also, the wall on which the map hangs was meant for demolition. However, thanks to the intervention of the construction manager who notified the Head of the Culture Department of the City of Kraków, Stanisław Dziedzic who was supervising the restoration, the works were discontinued and thus the map survived.
Elaborated by Monika Bednarek (Historical Museum of the City of Kraków), © all rights reserved