List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Author Gestapo prisoners
- Date of production period of WW II
- Place of creation Pomorska Street, Kraków, Poland
- Dimensions height: various
- Author's designation signatures of individual prisoners
- ID no. not recorded as part of the collection of the Historical Museum of the City of Krakow (part of the building)
- Object copyright Historical Museum of the City of Kraków
- Digital images copyright all rights reserved, HMCK
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Małopolska's Virtual Museums project
The Pomorska Street Branch of the Historical Museum of the City of Kraków is located in the Silesian House [Dom Śląski] on the corner of Królewska Street and Pomorska Street. During WW II, the building of the so-called Silesian House, which houses the branch of the Historical Museum of the City of Kraków today, was occupied by the Germans.more
The Pomorska Street Branch of the Historical Museum of the City of Kraków is located in the Silesian House [Dom Śląski] on the corner of Królewska Street and Pomorska Street.
During WW II, the building of the so-called Silesian House, which houses the branch of the Historical Museum of the City of Kraków today, was occupied by the Germans. It served as the Headquarters of the Security Police and Security Service for the Kraków District, of which the 4th department was the Secret State Police (Geheime Staatspolizei), i.e. the infamous Gestapo. On the second and third floor were rooms where people, usually brought there from the prison on Montelupich Street, were interrogated, whereas the three cellar rooms were transformed for the purpose of a detention centre.
On the walls of these three basement rooms are preserved dramatic inscriptions dated 1943–1945, carved by those who were arrested there. They were the only and often the last form of telling the world about their tragic fate. They included words of farewell, prayers and expressions of patriotic feelings. There were also words of concern about their families, yearning and fear. There were full signatures, initials, pseudonyms or single names, dates of arrests and their places of origin. Also, calendars carved by prisoners who thus marked the time spent in arrest on a daily basis.
According to the inventory conducted by employees of the Historical Museum in the 1960s, there are about 600 inscriptions.
Our website presents the inscriptions from cell 2, having a size of 2.82 x 2.30, situated on the right side of the underground corridor. Those inscriptions were left by people like Zbigniew Połeć, the AK soldier [AK — Armia Krajowa — the Home Army]; Leon Krzeczunowicz, aka “Express”; “Roland”, the AK lieutenant; Irena Włodek, the AK soldier who was arrested together with her husband, Roman Włodek.
Elaborated by Grzegorz Jeżowski (Historical Museum of the City of Kraków), editorial team of Małopolska’s Virtual Museums, © all rights reserved