List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Author drawn by Egidio (Egidius) van der Rye (†1605), elaborated by Georg (Joris) Hoefnagel (1542—1601), engraved by Jakob Hoefnagel (1575—1630)
- Date of production 1617, based on the drawing made before 1600
- Place of creation Cologne
- Dimensions height: 30.9 cm, width: 54.8 cm
- ID no. MHK 915/VIII
- Object copyright Historical Museum of the City of Kraków
- Digital images copyright public domain
- Digitalisation MHK, Sharing and digitalisation of the 2D collections project
The inscription in the field of view, at the top, in the middle, in the cartouche: CRACOVIA / MINORIS POLONIAE METROPOLIS.; in the central part, against the river: VISTULAFL. REGNVM DIVIDENS; in the lower left corner a cartouche with a legend in two columns, which explains the type and name of the fourteen buildings marked with letters in the view; on the frame of the cartouche on the left the date, “A(nn)o 1617”; below the legend “Depictum ab Egidio vander Rye / communic Georgius Houfnaglius”.more
The view included in the sixth volume of the work by Georg Braun and Franz Hohenberg Hogenberg Civitates Orbis Terrarum (Cologne 1617, table 44).
The inscription in the field of view, at the top, in the middle, in the cartouche: CRACOVIA / MINORIS POLONIAE METROPOLIS.; in the central part, against the river: VISTULAFL. REGNVM DIVIDENS; in the lower left corner a cartouche with a legend in two columns, which explains the type and name of the fourteen buildings marked with letters in the view; on the frame of the cartouche on the left the date, “A(nn)o 1617”; below the legend “Depictum ab Egidio vander Rye / communic Georgius Houfnaglius”. In the frame surrounding the view the designation of the cardinal directions was inscribed; at the top, “Septentrio”; at the bottom, “Merides.”
Of the twelve Polish cities included in the volume only Kraków was illustrated with two views. The second view presents Kraków and Kazimierz seen from the Lasota Hill at the foot of the Krakus Mound. The hillside, with a significantly marked road, falls down towards the river and the city. On the left, on the right bank of the Vistula River, there are scarce buildings and St. Leonard’s Church seen against the Kazimierz walls with gates — the names of the most important buildings are listed in the legend. The buildings of Kazimierz are scattered chaotically. What can be easily distinguished are the churches: the Corpus Christi Basilica, St. Catherine’s Church (mistakenly described as the Bernadine Monastery) and St. Jacob’s Church. In the background, Wawel Hill is visible with the cathedral, the castle, St. Michael’s and St. George’ churches and towers. On the right, as if hidden on a second ground, is the city of Kraków, surrounded by tall walls and towers. The view especially accentuates St. Andrew’s Church where the Franciscan and All Saints Churches were omitted. In the foreground on the right, staffage composed of two male figures in robes worn by the Polish aristocracy.
The cartouches with inscriptions are placed in a decorative scrollwork frame.
This view is the one that is second known, but it is the first published depiction of the city from the south.
Elaborated by Marta Marek (Historical Museum of the City of Kraków), © all rights reserved