List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Date of production 1660s–1670s
- Place of creation Kraków, Poland
- Dimensions height: 55 cm, length: base: 16 cm, width: base: 16 cm
- ID no. MHK 856/II
- Branch The Krzysztofory Palace
- Object copyright Historical Museum of the City of Kraków
- Digital images copyright public domain
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Małopolska's Virtual Museums project
The silver cross with a full figure of Christ, placed on a cuboid profiled plinth, decorated with plaques with the coat of arms of Kraków (SIGILLUM CIVITATIS CRACOVIAE METROPOLIS REGNI POLONIAE) and the coat of arms of the Segnitz family.more
The silver cross with a full figure of Christ, placed on a cuboid profiled plinth, decorated with plaques with the coat of arms of Kraków (SIGILLUM CIVITATIS CRACOVIAE METROPOLIS REGNI POLONIAE) and the coat of arms of the Segnitz family.
It was donated to the Kraków Town Hall in 1679 by the merchant, Stanisław Michał Segnitz (1641—1708).
Before the crucifix of the City Council their future members were sworn in. The crucifix was used from the day of its granting until WWII. In the archival photos from 1933, we can see the mayor of Kraków, Mieczysław Kaplicki, being sworn in before the Segnitz crucifix.
On the cross is a full figure of Christ, the aureole rays and the loincloth were gilded. The arms of the cross were decorated with cast openwork plaques with the motif of masks. Under the feet of Christ is a full-figure gilded skull and crossbones.
The cuboid plinth of the crucifix is decorated in the corners with openwork plaques with a floral ornament, in the middle of the front wall are oval plaques with the coat of arms of Kraków (from the front), on the remaining walls the coat of arms of Michał Segnitz, the donor of the crucifix.
The skull at the feet of the cross is the symbol of Golgotha — the Place of the Skull in which Christ was crucified. It is thought to be the skull of Adam, as according to apocryphal legends, Christ was crucified in the grave of the first father.
Elaborated by Katarzyna Moskal (Historical Museum of the City of Kraków), © all rights reserved