List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Date of production 1532
- Place of creation Kraków, Poland
- Dimensions height: stone: 2.2 cm, diameter: 2.3 cm
- ID no. MHK 683/II
- Object copyright Historical Museum of the City of Kraków
- Digital images copyright public domain
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Małopolska’s Virtual Museums project
The date of creation was engraved inside the golden hoop of the ring: 1532. The octagonal sapphire stone of the ring is decorated with Kraków’s coat of arms made in a concave relief. The ring was the symbol of the mayor’s power, and also served as a city seal. The stone needed to be made from a hard, abrasion-resistant material.more
The date of creation was engraved inside the golden hoop of the ring: 1532. The octagonal sapphire stone of the ring is decorated with Kraków’s coat of arms made in a concave relief. The ring was the symbol of the mayor’s power, and also served as a city seal. The stone needed to be made from a hard, abrasion-resistant material. In 1590 the expenditure of the city council for the purchase of a sapphire in order to replace the stone in the mayor’s ring was recorded. The new stone depicts Kraków’s coat of arms on a horseshoe shield topped with a crown and a finished with a Mannerist, scroll ornament. It represents a section of the city wall with three towers. The gate in the wall is open and an eagle is depicted under the half-lowered portcullis.
It is worth mentioning that this is one of the earliest depictions of an eagle in the gate in the coat of arms of Kraków. This image of the city’s coat of arms was adopted as mandatory by the City Council in 1661.
Elaborated by Katarzyna Moskal (Historical Museum of the City of Kraków), © all rights reserved