List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.

The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.

Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.

Views: 1861
(Votes: 2)
The average rating is 5.0 stars out of 5.
Print metrics
Print description

A large urn in the form of a cylinder, on a round flat plinth, supported on three stylised animal paws. At the edge of the urn is a crowned eagle with outspread wings. On the external wall of the urn is a map of the Second Republic of Poland on which all the airports are marked; above the map is a flying airplane, further to the right the marshal’s baton and a relevant inscription. The urn contains ground collected from 40 airports.

more

A large urn in the form of a cylinder, on a round flat plinth, supported on three stylised animal paws. At the edge of the urn is a crowned eagle with outspread wings. On the external wall of the urn is a map of the Second Republic of Poland on which all the airports are marked; above the map is a flying airplane, further to the right the marshal’s baton and a relevant inscription. The urn contains ground collected from 40 airports. The ceremony on the mound was held on 20 October 1935. On the external walls of the urn is a map of Poland and a flying airplane above. On the right the marshal’s baton, further to the right a six-line inscription: GROUND FOR THE MARSHAL JÓZEF PIŁSUDSKI MOUND FROM ALL POLISH AIRPORTS.
On 6 August 1934, on the 20th anniversary of the departure of the First Cadre Company, the building of the Marshal Józef Piłsudski Mound began at Sowiniec Hill, thus symbolically commemorating the regaining of independence after the long years of partitions. Thousands of delegations from all over the country and abroad arrived in Kraków so as to participate actively in erecting the mound. At the same time urns containing soil collected from battlefields sanctified with Polish blood and from the graves of national heroes were brought in from places of national and social institutions and organisations. The ground was subsequently added to the mound which was being constructed. For society, and especially for the youth, it was the most important lesson of patriotism in the interwar period.
According to the plan, hundreds of urns containing ground were to be placed in a special pavilion located at Sowiniec Hill. Unfortunately, the outbreak of WW II thwarted these plans. After the war, by the decision of the communist authorities, the majority of the urns were put at the waste repository, from which the employees of the Historical Museum took more than 40 urns. Today they create the only such collection in Poland.

Elaborated by Janusz Tadeusz Nowak (Historical Museum of the City of Kraków), © all rights reserved

less

Urn for the Piłsudski Mound with the ground from all the airports of the Second Republic of Poland

Pictures

Links

See also


Recent comments

Add comment: