List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Author Jan Butelski plating company
- Date of production 1915
- Place of creation Kraków, Poland
- Dimensions height: 89 cm, width: 78 cm
- ID no. MHK 895/III (globus MHK 945/III)
- Availability long-term loan
- Object copyright Historical Museum of the City of Kraków
- Digital images copyright public domain
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Małopolska’s Virtual Museums project
16 August 1915 marked the first anniversary of establishing the Supreme National Committee, which exercised political and organizational supervision over the Polish Legions. On that day, the Column of the Legions was unveiled in front of St. Mary’s Basilica in the Main Market Square in Kraków.more
16 August 1915 marked the first anniversary of establishing the Supreme National Committee, which exercised political and organizational supervision over the Polish Legions. On that day, the Column of the Legions was unveiled in front of St. Mary’s Basilica in the Main Market Square in Kraków. It was a tall wooden post into which every citizen could hammer a nail – an act for which he or she had to donate an appropriate amount, which was then transferred to the relief fund for the families of injured and fallen legionnaires. The nails were of various types (as were the prices), ranging from simple iron studs to decorative, silver nails with the engraved name of the donor. Soon afterwards the shaft of the column would be covered with a dense array nails. Following the example of Kraków, other cities in Galicia funded smaller objects, namely wooden shields, into which nails were also hammered for the purposes of the aforementioned fund. Only the presented finial remains of Kraków’s column have been preserved in the Historical Museum along with a collection of shields including items from Żółkiew, Kałusz, Bochnia, Sucha, Sambor and Rudki. It is the only collection of its kind in Poland.
Elaborated by Janusz Tadeusz Nowak (Historical Museum of the City of Kraków), © all rights reserved