List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Author Edward Węglowski
- Date of production 1955
- Place of creation Kraków, Poland
- Dimensions height: 13 cm, width: 18 cm
- ID no. MHF 22104/II
- Object copyright Museum of Photography in Kraków
- Digital images copyright © all rights reserved, MuFo
- Digitalisation Museum of Photography in Kraków
The photograph presents an important historical moment in the history of the main market square in Kraków, because it probably shows the reinstallation of the statue of Adam Mickiewicz in the Main Square on 26 November 1955.more
The photograph presents an important historical moment in the history of the main market square in Kraków, because it probably shows the reinstallation of the statue of Adam Mickiewicz in the Main Square on 26 November 1955. There are raised stands with Tadeusz Mrugacz — the then president of the city — standing in the centre, reading the text of his speech from a sheet. On the right side, there is a table with a document, around which stands a large group, mostly men together with two women; there is a crane in the background; the facade of the Cloth Hall is being visibly renovated, with its arcades covered by a wooden fence.
The back is stamped: “Edward Węglowski / A photojournalist of Dziennik Polski”.
The author of the photograph — Edward Węglowski — was born on 14 September 1902 in Kraków. As a seventeen-year-old boy, he participated in the Polish-Bolshevik war; in 1928, he started working in the IKC zincography department; he was promoted and became the head of the department until 1939. In the years 1939–1947, he ran a photo studio at 58 Grodzka street with Jan Stachowic; in 1947, he started working as a reporter for Dziennik Polski. As a member of the ZPAF, he participated in numerous photo competitions; he received an AFIAP honorary diploma. He died on 21 September 1978.
What catches our attention is the table with the intriguing document, but there is no certainty regarding the exact nature of the ceremony. Most probably, this is the unveiling of the reconstruction of the monument of Adam Mickiewicz, on the hundredth anniversary of the bard’s death. The monument was destroyed by the Germans on 17 August 1940. After the war, it was reconstructed from elements found in 1946 at a scrap yard in Hamburg.
The photograph is black and white, gelatin-silver.
Elaborated by Małgorzata Kanikuła (Museum of Photography in Kraków), © all rights reserved