List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Author Jan Motyka
- Date of production 1970s
- Place of creation Kraków, Poland
- Dimensions height: 50.2 cm, width: 39.8 cm
- ID no. MHF 3094/II
- Object copyright Museum of Photography in Kraków
- Digital images copyright © all rights reserved, MuFo
- Digitalisation Museum of Photography in Kraków
The photograph presents a view of Wolnica Square. In the foreground of the photograph stands the city hall of Kazimierz (today the Ethnographic Museum), with the tower and gable of the Corpus Christi Church, tenements at Krakowska Street and tall deciduous trees in the background.more
The photograph presents a view of Wolnica Square. In the foreground of the photograph stands the city hall of Kazimierz (today the Ethnographic Museum), with the tower and gable of the Corpus Christi Church, tenements at Krakowska Street and tall deciduous trees in the background. The photograph was taken in the 1970s in the summer. It is made with the pseudosolarization technique.
What is the history of Wolnica Square photographed here? Today’s name is derived from the Latin Forum liberum (the right to trade freely in meat outside the stalls) and exists since the end of the 18th century when Kazimierz was granted the privilege of free trade. Only the city hall survived from that time.
Currently, the Ethnographic Museum with a collection of folk art is located here. In 1996, a plaque commemorating the arrival of Jews in Poland in the Middle Ages was embedded in the building wall. The city hall of Kazimierz dates from the 14th century. Originally Gothic (relics from the 14th century are preserved in the basements). In 1578 and 1623, Renaissance forms of the building were preserved with crenelated attics and a tower covered with a tented roof. In 1829 the city hall was rebuilt for the needs of a vocational and trade school, in the 2nd half of the 19th century it was taken over by the Jewish community: a Jewish elementary school was located there. During the years 1875–1876 the city hall was expanded according to the design of Stefan Żołdani. The picture shows the fountain from 1970 with Bronisław Chromy’s sculpture Trzej grajkowie [Three buskers], contemporaneous with this picture.
Elaborated by Małgorzata Kanikuła (Museum of Photography in Kraków), © all rights reserved