List of all exhibits. Click on one of them to go to the exhibit page. The topics allow exhibits to be selected by their concept categories. On the right, you can choose the settings of the list view.
The list below shows links between exhibits in a non-standard way. The points denote the exhibits and the connecting lines are connections between them, according to the selected categories.
Enter the end dates in the windows in order to set the period you are interested in on the timeline.
- Author Józef Peszka (1767–1831)
- Date of production 1813–1829
- Place of creation Kraków, Poland
- Dimensions height: 126 cm, width: 146 cm
- ID no. M 1
- Availability Senate Hall, Main Building of the Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow
- Acquired date 1848, a gift from Maria Markowska née Langelot, widow of Józef Markowski
- Object copyright Museum of the Academy of Fine Arts in Kraków
- Digital images copyright public domain
- Digitalisation RDW MIC, Virtual Małopolska project
The present portrait depicts the Markowski married couple: Józef and Maria née Langelot. The painting was created during the second period of Peszka’s artistic activity in Kraków (from 1813). Józef Markowski (1758–1829), portrayed together with his wife, was one of the most important Polish scientists of that time.more
Józef Peszka — full name, Marcin Fryderyk Józef Peszka (Peszke, Peszko, Peschka, Peschke) — was born in 1767 to a family of Cracovian burghers of German descent. He learnt painting in Kraków from Dominik Oesterreicher from Austria (d. 1809): the protoplast of the Kraków Estreicher family of professors. At the encouragement of Hugo Kołłątaj (1750–1812), he continued to study painting in Warsaw under Franciszek Smuglewicz (1745–1807). In 1785 or 1787 he went to Vilnius along with Smuglewicz. There, he worked with him on decorating a cathedral. From 1788, Peszka lived in Warsaw, where he worked for Stanisław August Poniatowski. At that time, he made copies of portraits of famous Poles for Józef Kalasanty Bogusławski at the royal gallery. In the years 1789–1792, at the commission of the Warsaw city council, he made portraits of figures favourable to the city’s interests during the Great Sejm. At that time, he painted many portraits on demand. In 1793, he went to Grodno, perhaps hoping for the possibility of portraying the deputies involved in the Partition Sejm. In the same year, he settled in Vilnius, where he later collaborated with Franciszek Smuglewicz, who held the post of professor of painting at the Vilnius University. As he had previously done in Warsaw, he painted a great many portraits in the former capital of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. During this period, in the years 1810–1812, a collective portrait of the painter and his family was created (the National Museum in Warsaw). In 1813, Peszka returned to Kraków, where he lived until the end of his life. In Kraków, the painter received numerous ecclesiastical and governmental commissions and was an in-demand portraitist of local university, political and urban elites.
The present portrait depicts the Markowski married couple: Józef and Maria née Langelot. The painting was created during the 2nd period of Peszka’s artistic activity in Kraków (from 1813). Józef Markowski (1758–1829), portrayed together with his wife, was one of the most important Polish scientists of that time. He worked in the fields of chemistry, medicine, geology and mineralogy. In the years 1785–1810, Markowski worked in Paris. At that time, his interest in minerals was born: as part of his research he spent a year in the south of France and in Italy, where he visited mines and mineralogical offices. in Paris, in addition to his scientific activity, Markowski also ran a medical practice, held the post of a physician in all Parisian prisons, and he was even the private physician of Empress Joséphine (1763–1814). In addition, he gave private lessons in various fields of science. After returning to Kraków in 1810, he took over the newly created chair of chemistry at the Jagiellonian University. It was then separated from the Faculty of Natural History. In the years 1810–1814, Markowski was also the dean of the Faculty of Medicine. From 1816, he was a member of the Kraków Scientific Society, and, from 1818, a member of the Great Council of the University.
Elaborated by Adam Spodaryk (Editorial team of Małopolska’s Virtual Museums),
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Poland License.