The Vistula Ethnographic Park, located at the foot of the medieval castle in Lipowiec, presents the culture of Krakowiacy Zachodni (Western Cracovians) ethnographic group. In the Museum, one can not only admire the authentic costumes which were popularised by Tadeusz Kościuszko, but, above all, the everyday life of former inhabitants of Wygiełzów. All this is set in the reconstructed landscape of a village, town and manor. The medieval castle – a memento of the prison of Kraków bishops – towers over the former land of the Western Cracovians. The museum, which is located at the foot of a hill, is divided into different sections by theme which allows visitors to learn about life in a village, a small town, a presbytery and a manor. In the open-air museum, one can walk in beautiful surroundings, sit in a quiet market square or in an inn, visit wooden houses, a school, a potter’s workshop, a rural church decorated with polychromes made by Jerzy Fedkowicz – Józef Mehoffer’s student – and an old Polish wooden manor house. In the castle, one can learn about the history of the bishops’ fortress, its turbulent history, former appearance and the everyday life of its residents.

Elaborated by Julia Czapla, Joanna Kotarba,
Licencja Creative Commons

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Poland License.

Photograph by Sebastian Woźniak, arch. MIK (2013),
Licencja Creative Commons

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Poland License.

www.mnpe.pl

ul. Podzamcze 1,
32-551 Wygiełzów


phone 32 622 87 49
phone 32 646 28 10
page museum

Opening hours

March  — October
Monday  — Sunday
8.00 — 18.00
November  — February
Monday  — Sunday
8.00 — 15.00

Ticket Prices

normal 12 PLN reduced 6 PLN family 30 PLN normal to the Lipowiec Castle 8 PLN reduced to the Lipowiec Castle 5 PLN family to the Lipowiec Castle 20 PLN regular pass 18 PLN reduced pas 9 PLN family pass 45 PLN Monday — free admission to the Lipowiec Castle
Objects

Nativity Scene by Franciszek Zięba

This puppet nativity scene made by the carpenter Franciszek Zięba in 1935 is the first exhibit donated to the Museum – the Vistula Ethnographic Park in Wygiełzów and the Lipowiec Castle. The base of the nativity scene is adapted to the needs of puppet theatre.

Painted wooden folk cupboard

The painted cupboard consists of a base in the form of a low cabinet, equipped with shelves covered with a door and two drawers as well as a shallower cabinet with a glazed door. The interior of the adjustment with a shelf is painted dark blue and the background is also decorated with yellow and red stars. The adjustment is equipped with a back that isolates it from the wall. The “crown” at the top, which is also called a comb, is profiled and ornamented. The bottom of the base functions as the legs of a cupboard.

Painting “Portrait of Kazimierz Janota Bzowski”

A portrait of Kazimierz Janota Bzowski, who died in 1862, the founder of the Droginia line of the Janot Bzowski family. The painting belonged to the Janot Bzowski family of Droginia. It was donated to the Museum by Witold Nekanda Trepka.

Wooden feretrum

Feretron is a special type of paintings or sculptures with saints' that were used not only during the procession in church celebrations, but also as portable altars during pilgrimages.

White sukmana coat — “chrzanówka”

The sukmana coat, formerly known as an outer garment, was commonly worn on Sundays and festivals by the inhabitants of Kraków villages. It was made of white cloth formerly manufactured, for example, by drapers from Chrzanów (even in the early 20th century, about a dozen families living in Chrzanów were still involved in this craft). Cloth made of spun wool was purchased from merchants from Biała. Depending on the recipient, tailors used a various finish of sukmana coats.

Painting “Portrait of Kazimierz Janota Bzowski” of Stanisław Janowski

Portrait of Kazimierz Janota Bzowski (the last owner of the Droginia estate), painted by Stanisław Janowski in 1927. The painting belonged to the Janota Bzowski family from Droginia, a village near Kraków. It was donated to the museum by Witold Nekanda Trepka.

Tiled stove from manor house in Droginia

The tiled stove was moved to the Museum of the Vistula Ethnographic Park in Wygiełzów and the Lipowiec Castle as an element of the former furnishings of the manor house in Droginia. During the reconstruction it was located in the room constituting the museum exhibition where it performs a decorative function in the master’s room, although it used to be a source of heat in the Droginia manor where the Bzowski family lived for generations.

Painted wooden chest with a drawer

A painted wooden chest in a Skawina style. It is made of coniferous wood and placed on wheels cut of a wooden plank. A cuboid box is supported on a frame of wood in which there are wheels and a small rectangular drawer. The lid is attached to the rear wall with hinges. The chest has a lock and a signboard with an opening for a key in the front wall made of iron. On the signboard is a date: 12.09.1893.

Women’s shoes from Mników

Boots featuring multiple folds at ankle height, which is a characteristic feature of women’s shoes made in the village of Mników near Kraków at the turn of the 19th and 20th century.

Painting “Portrait of Bogusław Janota Bzowski” by Mikołaj Strzegocki

This painting depicts the image of Stefan Bogusław Janota Bzowski known by the name of Bogusław. He was the son of Kazimierz and Marjanna née Dąbski, born in 1821 in Gruszów, who died in 1911 in Krakow. He was buried with his wife at the Rakowicki Cemetery in Kraków. He managed estates in the villages of Droginia, Radwan and Buk. After autonomy had been granted to Galicia, he served as the first marshal of the District Council in Myślenice. At his own initiative, the District Savings Bank was established in this city. In 1854, he married Leonia, Countess Stadnicka, with whom he had nine children.

Men’s tunic for Kraków costume

In Kraków folk costume, the kaftan, in addition to the top white sukmana (essentially a tunic), was an important and distinctive element of a holiday outfit – a testimony to the wealth of the owner.

Biedermeier style night chair

In the manor house from Droginia (moved to the Museum in Wygiełzów), in which the apartment interiors of a wealthy noble family were recreated, the more intimate side of life was also included. The bedroom, located in the alcove, equipped with 19th century furniture, also included a night-chair which served as a privy.

Food cabinet

An 18th-century Silesian cabinet with a broad front having two decorative profiled one-wing doors in the middle, separated from one another by a central drawer. The door panels have abundant polychromes with a birds of paradise motif against a blue background, sitting on baskets filled with fruit.

Chequered skirt

A woman’s skirt made of red fabric decorated with green and white check, lined with cotton with small red flowers printed. A summer ankle-length skirt made on a sewing machine from a thin red material with green and cream check. The upper part of the skirt is richly folded and has a belt with straps of the same material used to tie it.

Wedding scarf

The head scarf was the most important and most valuable covering of married women; it was an indispensable element of women’s folk costume in Kraków. It was put on women for the first time during the traditional wedding ceremony called Oczepiny, to indicate the change in her marital status. Scarves were worn by married women throughout their entire future life.

Commemorative pink glass

Most probably, the glass shows the bust of Adolf Starzeński, commemorating his participation in the Polish national uprising against Russia at the turn of 1830 and 1831...

Men’s shirt for Kraków costume

Shirts were an indispensable element of men’s underwear. Every day, shirts made of linen or hemp homespun fabric were worn, and on special occasions usually ones tailored from well-bleached linen or cotton fabrics, usually factory-made, were used at the end of the 19th century.

Recent comments

Add comment: