The Polish Aviation Museum has been housed in the buildings of the former Rakowice–Czyżyny airport, one of the oldest military airports in Europe. It houses more than two hundred aircraft that show the history of both Polish and foreign aviation. In the modern space of the main building, there is, among others, an educational room equipped with interactive information kiosks, the cross-section of an aircraft, a flight simulator as well as airplane seats that encourage air escapades.
In the museum, one can see aircraft, helicopters and motor gliders. One can also admire the only well preserved aircraft from the September campaign – the PZL P.11c and the Polish RWD 13 which date back to the 1930s, one of only two remaining in the world. Also in the museum, one can see bullets, bombs and other military objects associated with anti-aircraft artillery and an extensive collection of aircraft engines. In the NATO vs. the Warsaw Pact hangar, one may compare the development of military techniques on both sides of the Iron Curtain.

Elaborated by Olga Kasztelewicz, Joanna Kotarba,
Licencja Creative Commons

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Poland License.

Photograph by Marek Antoniusz Święch, arch. MIK (2013),
Licencja Creative Commons

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Poland License.

http://www.muzeumlotnictwa.pl/indexen.php

al. Jana Pawła II 39,
31-864 Kraków


phone 12 640 99 60
page museum

Opening hours

Monday
closed
Tuesday  — Sunday
9.00 — 17.00

Ticket Prices

normal 15 PLN reduced 7 PLN family 34 PLN Tuesday — free admission to permanent exhibitions
Objects

Air engine “Antoinette” V8

The French Antoinette V-8 made between 1908 and 1909 is the oldest aircraft engine from the collection at the Polish Aviation Museum in Kraków. It was designed by Léon Levasseur, who previously engineered engines for motor boats...

Flight chart of 308 Krakow Fighter Squadron

This is a wooden, blackboard of flights (most likely a replica) of 308 Krakow Fighter Squadron, with credits for the operational flight allocation, from 1945. This exhibit is particularly valuable due to the fact that the division continued the traditions of the 2 Air Regiment in Krakow (the squadron staff came from...

Uniform of a navigator major (S/Ldr) of Eugeniusz Arciuszkiewicz

This is a tropical uniform: with a French uniform type jacket, pants, shirt with a tie, and a hat. It is an RAF uniform with Polish elements (on the basis of the uniform regulations in force since 1 January 1942, outside Polish borders). It includes Polish buttons, an —eagle model of 1936 ...

Uniform of the General Pilot Tadeusz Andersz

This uniform is of the French RAF jacket-type, belonging to General Pilot Tadeusz Andersz (born on 27 September 1918 in Haensbrook, died on 29 October 2007 in London), who was a Polish military commander, brigadier general, and a pilot of the Polish Army. After graduating from high school in Poznan in 1937, Tadeusz Andersz started his education at the Aviation Cadet School...

Commission of Officer Roman Florer

After the outbreak of World War I, Roman Florer received an assignment as an observer on the Serbian and Italian front in the 4th Aviation Squadron. At the turn of 1914 and 1915, he was sent to the Wiener Neustadt pilots' course. After completing the course, he returned to the front as a pilot in the 27th Aviation Squadron.

Naval poignard

This air dagger (Polish, m. 24) was made by the Side Arms Company of Gabriel Borowski. The metal elements (except for the blade) have been oxidised in the colour of old silver; the metal sheath is covered with black leather. It is a dagger with a nickel-plated, polished blade; the company's signature is engraved along the edge; the head at the top has the shape of a truncated pyramid. There are decorative rings on the handle and sheath with ornamentation with laurel to the right.

Badge of a pilot of the Naval Air Squadron

Normal 0 21 false false false PL X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:Standardowy; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; border:none;} This is a first-class marine pilot badge, issued by order 13/33, in force in 1933–39. Probably, it was worn by Capt. Roman Borowiec, pilot of the CANT Z.506 Air one aeroplane, sunk in Lake Ślemień (a badge was picked up there along with other remains of the plane).

The German Aero Club memorial plaque for the pilot Lieutenant Franciszek Żwirko

W lipcu 1930 roku dwójka wybitnych lotników, Franciszek Żwirko wraz ze Stanisławem Wigurą, wzięła udział w międzynarodowych zawodach samolotów turystycznych Challenge 1930 na samolocie RWD-4. 25 lipca piloci musieli się jednak wycofać na skutek awarii silnika, po przymusowym lądowaniu w Hiszpanii...

Band of the Defenders of Lviv Association

This was the armband of lieutenant pilot Rudolf Weyde, one of the participants in the battles for Lviv in 1918 and a member of the air defence section of Lviv. The unique armband of the Defenders of Lviv Association of November 1918, introduced in 1934–1938, was awarded as a symbol of membership, on the basis of mandatory registration and verification...

Membership card of the Polish Air Navigation Services Association of Adam Wojtyga

The Polish Aviation Society was founded on 11 December 1916 in Warsaw, the day the society's statute was submitted to the Provisional Council of State in Warsaw. The first meeting (organizational) took place on 1 February 1917 in Warsaw. From 26 February to 15 May 1917, the society ran flight courses, which were completed by 73 students.

Silver platter of Colonel pilot Stanisław Skarżyński

On 8 May 1933, on a single-seat aircraft of the Polish construction RWD-5bis (signs SP-AJU), rebuilt from a tourist plane, Capt. Pilot Stanisław Skarżyński was the first Pole to fly across the Atlantic Ocean: from the west coast of Africa (Saint Louis in Senegal) to Maceió...

Patches from the spacesuit which belonged to Mirosław Hermaszewski, general and pilot-cosmonaut

Mirosław Hermaszewski — a brigadier general of the Polish Army and a cosmonaut, was the first and the only Pole to fly into space. In 1976, together with Colonel Zenon Jankowski, he was chosen from several hundred Polish pilots as the candidate for a space flight organised within the international Intercosmos space programme.

The Polish Air Force flag

Pursuant to the Act of 22 August 1940 and the Agreement of 11 June 1940 entered into between the British and Polish governments, the British government permitted the establishment of two bomb squadrons, including a training centre, and introduced a command dualism and a right to use Polish national symbols. Polish pilots wore British uniforms featuring the Polish eagle on the cap and the inscription “Poland” on the upper part of the sleeves.

Navigator badge

The Observer Badge (Navigator Badge) is one of the aviation’s specialty badges, worn by pilots and other members of the flying staff. The popular gapa is one of the most famous symbols of the Polish Military Aviation. The badge was worn by aviators in the inter-war period and the Polish Air Force during World War II. The design of the badge has survived from the time of the People’s Republic of Poland and is worn by Polish aviators to this day.

Register of the flights of a lieutenant pilot Stefania Wojtulanis-Karpińska (“Barbara”)

Stefania Wojtulanis-Karpińska “Barbara” was actively involved in all types of aviation sports, starting with her participation — as a navigator — in the National Balloon Competition in 1936. In 1938, she participated — also as a navigator — in the 8th National Air Competition; in May 1939, Stefania competed in the Ninth National Balloon Championships as a balloon pilot.

Polish Air Force in the West officers's cap

Oficerska czapka z orłem lotniczym (bajorek) ostatniego dowódcy 308. Krakowskiego Dywizjonu Myśliwskiego płk. pil. Karola Pniaka DFC. Mimo iż sama w sobie nie jest wyjątkowa — tego typu nakryć głowy zachowało się wiele — to jednak jej wartość historyczna jest niezaprzeczalna...

Identity card of Polish 7th Air Escadrille

This exhibit features ID card no. 84 with the legendary 7 badge. It is associated with a Fighter Squadron (the so-called Kosciuszko Squadron) fighting in defence of the Polish Borderlands in 1920. This unique unit, apart from Poles, also included American volunteers. The ID card belonged to Maj. Pil. Teofil Dziama and was issued...

Air engine Mercedes Benz — F7502 model

The huge interest in aviation after the First World War resulted in the appearance of small sports aircraft and the need to construct small aircraft engines for them. In Germany, this engine was constructed by Dr. F. Porsche, who worked in the 1920s at Daimler in Stuttgart.

Air engine “Argus” — As5 model

The huge, 24-cylinder engine, with 4 cylinders arranged in six rows, attracts the attention of the unusually rich exhibition of aircraft engines at the Aviation Museum in Krakow: this system can be called a “double W”. For many years, it has been a very mysterious museum exhibit.

Rocket engine “Walter HWK” — 109-507 model

This is a rocket engine, designed for propelling a German guided flying bomb, the Henschel Hs 293. It was constructed in the small experimental plant “H. Walter KG” in Kiel, headed by prof. Hellmuth Walter, who, since 1935, had been dealing with the practical use of hydrogen peroxide...

Recent comments

Add comment: