The Archdiocesan Museum is located in two neighbouring houses in Kanonicza Street which were the residence of canon priests of the Wawel Cathedral Chapter for centuries. Both buildings have links to Karol Wojtyła. In one of them, there is reconstruction of a room which was occupied by him during the period 1952–1958 when he worked at the Jagiellonian University. The other one houses a collection of objects donated during the Pope’s pontificate as it was his home when Wojtyła served as an auxiliary bishop of the Kraków Archdiocese.
The Archdiocesan Museum boasts a rich collection of sacred art from the Kraków Archdiocese. Its most precious works of art include the oldest Polish painting — an image of Saint Catherine and Saint Agnes that dates back to the 13th century. The collection of beautiful Madonna sculptures from the Małopolska diocese, dating back to the turn of the 14th century and a set of liturgical garments from the period of 15th–20th centuries are equally interesting. Papal donations — items given to John Paul II by dignitaries and pilgrims from all over the world, later transferred to the Museum — also constitute a unique collection.

Elaborated by Olga Kasztelewicz, Joanna Kotarba,
Licencja Creative Commons

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Poland License.

Photograph by Wojciech Szczekan, arch. MIK (2015),
Licencja Creative Commons

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Poland License.

http://www.muzeumkra.diecezja.pl/index_en.htm

ul. Kanonicza 19-21,
31-002 Kraków


phone 12 421 89 63
phone 12 628 82 11
page museum

Opening hours

Monday
closed
Tuesday  — Sunday
10.00 — 17.00

Ticket Prices

normal 10 PLN reduced 6 PLN family 20 PLN group 6 PLN
Objects

Pope Pius XII’s nomination bull from 1958

Document from appointing Karol Wojtyla Kraków's bishop suffragan on 25th of August 1958. The text of the manustript is written in Latin, partlu rubricated with customary wording, distinguishe by majuscule: Pius Episcopus, Servus Sevorum Dei.

Pope Paul VI’s nomination bull from 1967

A document from 8 July 1967 appointing Archbishop Karol Wojtyła a cardinal. The text of the manuscript is written in Latin, partly rubricated with customary wording, distinguished by majuscule: Paulus Servus Servorum Dei [Paul Bishop, Servant of the Servants of God].

135 film folding camera

A Certo Super Dollina II camera of German production, which was used to take most of the pictures during Priest Karol Wojtyła’s trips in the 1950s. It belonged to Jacek Fedorowicz, a former student of the Kraków University of Technology who participated in famous trips organised by Priest Wojtyła.

Chalice and Paten

This is a chalice on a ten-leaved foot base with a pedestal, decorated with a geometric decoration strip covered with a smooth coat, with an engraved coat of arms, surrounded by laurel leaves and an enamelled medallion with a passion stage.

Baroque chasuble

Chasubles are the outer garments put on by priests in the Roman Catholic rite to conduct a holy mass. Their colouring is of significance and depends primarily on the period of the liturgical year. Nowadays, the rules of using the colours of liturgical vestments are precisely defined in the so-called General Introduction to the Roman Missal.

Painting “St. John the Almoner” from parochial church in Racławice Olkuskie

The painting was created on a rectangular board, closed from above by an ogee arch and encompassed with small pillars. The standing figure of John the Merciful has been placed in the background, pressed in the mortar (silvering and glaze with the motif of an outgrowing acanthus plant twine).

Triptych “Family of Mary” from parochial church in Racławice Olkuskie

In the middle part of the triptych, the so-called “family of Maria” has been introduced, a multi-person image, based on the legend of the triple marriage of St. Anna (the Baby Jesus is standing on her knees) and the Blessed Virgin Mary are sitting on the bench in the centre of the painting. Behind the bench and St. Anna...

Priest Karol Wojtyła’s sports shoes

Walking shoes used by priest Karol Wojtyła during trips. The shoes are made of a brown patent leather with cotton shoelaces...

Priest Karol Wojtyła’s canoe

Pelikan II tourist canoe used by Priest Karol Wojtyła during holiday trips with academic youth. The so-called Kamyk [pebble] was financed by Teresa Życzkowska (using the name Heydel at that time) and Priest Karol Wojtyła. It was used for the first time during a canoeing rally down the Słupia River in 1956.

Pope Paul VI’s nomination bull from 1963

A document from 31 January 1963 appointing Bishop Karol Wojtyła the metropolitan archbishop of the archdiocese of Kraków. The text of the manuscript is written in Latin, partly rubricated with customary words distinguished by majuscule: Paulus Episcopus, Servus Servorum Dei [Paul Bishop, Servant of the Servants of God].

Cardinal Priest Karol Wojtyła’s fountain pen

Pelikan fountain pen with a piston filling used by Priest Karol Wojtyła. The casing is made of plastic, inlaid with synthetic nacre in the form of alternate stripes. It is constructed from black ebonite with the nib partly gilded with the name of the company on it.

Reliquary with St. Stanislaus’s hand

A reliquary in the form of a hand (forearm) placed on a polygonal base in a vertical position. The middle part of the reliquary is red (the sleeve of a robe) with visible relics put in a small rectangular panel obscured by a glass pane.

Cup from Michael Wissmar workshop

Normal 0 21 false false false PL X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:Standardowy; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; border:none;}The chalice foot is made on a six-leaf plan, the foot coat and a hexagonal sleeve are decorated with a grapevine spike on a gold-plated background, with six silver medallions with engraved scenes: the Birth of Christ, the Last Supper, the Risen Christ, the Gathering of Manna, the Grape Harvest, the Harvest.

Chalice and Paten

The chalice was a gift for John Paul II from the President of Senegal, Abdou Dioufan, presented to the Holy Father during his pilgrimage to Senegal from 19 February to 23 February 1992.

Monstrance from Korzkiew

The monstrance from Korzkiew is an example of the longevity of Gothic forms and at the same time the ability to mix them with the Baroque style, which was new when the monstrance was produced. The monstrance presents a type of turret. It has a six-leaf base covered with a veil with a repoussé decoration— arma Christi (motifs symbolising the Passion of Christ) in auricular cartouches.

Chasuble of Wadowice

A chasuble in a dark red colour with the addition of elements in turquoise and blue with a motif of a six-leaf rose in a net arrangement and pomegranates in the middle. There are two columns (initially a cross-shaped orphrey) sewed on brocade, laced with colourful silk as well as silver and gold threads with flat and satin stitches.

Bas-relief “The Adoration of the Magi”

A sculpture which was probably the central part of a winged altarpiece at first. There is a sitting Madonna on the right, holding a naked Infant Jesus in her lap. She is facing three Magi; two of them are standing while the third one is kneeling and touching the Infant Jesus’s hand. St. Joseph is standing behind Mary.

Sculpture “Madonna from Gruszów”

The sculpture is full-length and depicts Madonna in a long, floral-decorated dress in brown-red and navy-blue colours and with a gilded coat tied over her chest. Mary, tilted to the left, with her right leg bent in her knee, is holding a gold-plated sceptre in her right hand, while her left hand is holding the child with a book in its hands.

Sculpture “Madonna of Więcławice”

A wall sculpture hollowed out from behind. It depicts Mother of God in a gentle contrapposto, bent in the shape of a reversed “S”, wearing a gilded dress of a warm red tone as well as a gilded coat on a silver lining with an olive glaze. Mary has a veil and a crown on her head. In her right hand, Madonna is holding Infant Jesus in a gilded dress.

Painting “Saints from Dębno” representing St. Catherine and St. Agnes

This painting consists of a portrayal painted with tempera on a linden board, with the addition of silvering and glazes. Saints with dark hair, turned slightly to the side, dressed in long tunics and coats, are holding palms in their hands. At the top, on a white stripe in the background, there is a black inscription, written in majuscule...