The story of the stove from Myślenice
The stove in the “Greek House” in Myślenice comes from the manor in nearby Krzyszkowice, which, from 1926, belonged to Count Konstanty Romer. After his death in 1942, Krzyszkowice was inherited by his daughter Teresa, and she owned it until 1945. After the nationalization of the property, the Gromadzka National Council was placed in the manor, then a school and library, and finally, it was turned into apartments. This all led to the ruin of the building. A surviving element of the manor is the aforementioned stove: a souvenir from the previous owners of Krzyszkowice.
Krzyszkowice had been associated with the Dobrzański family for several decades. Łukasz Dobrzański of the Leliwa coat of arms (1839–1879) was a cavalry captain, participant of the Italian campaign in 1859, adjutant of General Langiewicz in the January Uprising, and, after the suppression of the uprising, he went to Dresden and married Natalia Wessel there. The Dobrzański family decided to settle in Galicia; therefore, they bought Krzyszkowice. They were soon visited by a friend of Natalia's, Princess Augusta de Montleart, who liked the area so much that she offered to buy the estate back. Augusta de Montleart settled in Krzyszkowice in 1869 and devoted herself to charity, taking special care of the local youth. She died tragically in 1885, handing Krzyszkowice over to Natalia Dobrzańska. As has already been mentioned, the coats of arms of Leliwa and Rogala — the coats of arms of Łukasz Dobrzański and his wife Natalia née Wessel — were placed in the central part of the stove by the Regional Museum in Myślenice. The stove was made in the Majoliki factory in Nieborów, founded in 1881 by Prince Michał Radziwiłł.
Elaborated by Bożena Kobiałka (Museum of Independence in Myślenice), © all rights reserved