Why “The Eagle”?
Clock topped with an eagle figure in “The Eagle” Pharmacy.
On the building of the branch of the Historical Museum of the City of Kraków, at 18 Bohaterów Getta Square, we cannot find any justification for the name of the Eagle Pharmacy. Neither now nor ever before has any architectural element on the façade of this historic building indicated the sense of such a name.
During the German occupation, which made Tadeusz Pankiewicz’s pharmacy famous, just above the entrance there was an inscription: “Apteka J. Pankiewicz” [“Tadeusz Pankiewicz’s pharmacy”] (the pharmacy was founded by Tadeusz’s father — Józef Pankiewicz — and his name appears in the name of the institution on all documents). The addition of “The Eagle” [“Pod Orłem”] was used in prescription forms and formal correspondence. It was not until 1983, when the Museum of National Remembrance was created here, that, on the entrance signboard, the full name of the most famous wartime pharmacy appeared.
Where did the “The Eagle” addition come from? The genesis of the full name, under which this place functions in the general consciousness, can be found inside the institution. The figure of an eagle spreading wings is placed on a pharmacy cupboard, recreated on the model of the one which stood in the main pharmacy hall during the occupation, and positioned in the same way as in the pictures from this period, opposite the front door. It is a faithful copy of the original, which is currently held by the Pharmaceutical Museum of the Jagiellonian University in Kraków. Originally, however, the eagle, which gave the name to the pharmacy, topped a wooden clock, which can be seen in the picture above, dating from 1942.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Poland License.
Photograph “The staff of Tadeusz Pankiewicz’s The Eagle Pharmacy”
Photograph “Tadeusz Pankiewicz in the company of four people in the duty room”
“Righteous Among the Nations” medal for Tadeusz Pankiewicz
Clock topped with an eagle figure