Along with the towns founded under the Magdeburg law, fortifications were also built (over time, both the construction and defence of individual fragments of the walls...
By virtue of the incorporation charter of 5 June 1257, duke Bolesław the Chaste revived the city devastated after the Mongol invasion and determined its shape, which was preserved for centuries. How did Kraków develop, based on the Magdeburg Law? How did its landmark buildings change? Finally, what was the image of the city held by travellers, drawers and cartographers? The vistas of Kraków stored in museums and archives can drop some hints. Through our intermediary, a wider audience can admire them. We would like to call particular attention to a few of our exhibits about Kraków.
Among the four mounds in Krakow, the Piłsudski Mound is the youngest and the biggest. It was raised on the top of Sowiniec Hill, situated in the Wolski Forest. In 1934 the Association of Polish Legionnaires put forward the idea of raising a mound-statue of the nation’s fight for independence.
The staff of the head was given to the Historical Museum of the City of Kraków by the Kraków authorities in 1951. This is a wooden cane, finished with a carved ending in the shape of a man's head. The head is that of a man with a short beard and a turban on his head, decorated with a flower. The presented mace was the insignia of the head of Łobzów Borough.
Minimalism of style and verbal content, linked by an ingenious concept. The drawings allude to social, economic and artistic issues. The stance is critical: witty but also marked by bitterness.
Ferdynand Olesiński received the second competition prize of 20 guilders in 1875, awarded by the management of the Society of Friends of Fine Arts for a perspective drawing. Olesiński then made a pencil sketch depicting the cloisters at the Franciscan church in Kraków. Perspective drawing was one of the subjects taught at the second branch of the School of Fine Arts in Kraków. The students also learned drawing still life, copying and drawing head contours.
The portrait was based on the lithographic image of Franciszek Siarczyński (1758–1829) – a priest, historian, geographer, journalist, librarian and first director of the National Ossoliński Institute in Lviv.
Julian Fałat (1853–1929) was the first eminent Polish painter who — despite coming from a peasant family and having no financial support — received an education in art and occupied...
The plan of the occupant was simple: Kraków was to become a German city. As the capital of the General Government, it could not “offend“ the Germans with such clear symbols of Polish culture: monuments commemorating great historical events and the heroes related with them.
Kraków remained under German occupation for 1961 days — 5 years, from 6 September 1939 to 18 January 1945. Traces of the German past of the city can still be found in its space: air-raid shelters under today’s Inwalidów Square...
Oskar Schindler’s Emalia Factory belongs to one of the branches of the Historical Museum of the City of Kraków and is located in the administrative building of the former factory of enamelware in Zabłocie. The factory was known as...
The collection of the Museum of Photography in Kraków contains many photos by the renowned photographer and cinematographer, Wiesław Tomaszkiewicz. He was born on 1 July 1924 in Nowy Sącz and died in 2009. He was a master of Oriental Philology, a cinematographer — he took photos for documentary films — a photographer, a mountaineer and an amateur radioman.
“She was known in broad communities by artists and citizens both in Kraków and throughout Poland. She was widely liked for her personality and artistic background...
The silver cross with a full figure of Christ, placed on a cuboid profiled plinth, decorated with plaques with the coat of arms of Kraków (SIGILLUM CIVITATIS CRACOVIAE METROPOLIS REGNI POLONIAE) and the coat of arms of the Segnitz family.
Spring clocks, which were invented in the 15th century, have improved with time. Gradually they were constructed smaller and smaller, and at the beginning of the 16th century they were of such a size that they could be placed on the table. One of popular types of such clocks was a horizontal timer with a mechanism placed in a polygonal, flat casing with a horizontal disc on the top.
An average-sized nativity scene in Kraków — illuminated, mechanical, three-levelled, five-towered, with 23 wooden painted figures. In the recess, on a round platform the figures of carol singers are spinning around (death, Herod, a soldier, a Jew, an angel, a devil), entering and exiting through decorated portals; in the centre there is a Christmas tree against a stained-glass window; in the foreground is a group of Lajkonik, raftsmen with maces, and a band of Mlaskots (musicians from Zwierzyniec who accompanied Lajkonik, playing the drums, the violin and the bass).
The sceptre was a symbol of the mayors of Kraków. The form of a sceptre symbolizes power, and this refers to royal sceptres or those of university rectors. It was made of silver, and some of the elements were gilded. The lower part of the handle has a hexagonal cross section, the upper part is round, separated by convex rings. The bead of the head is topped with a disc and finished with an openwork frieze of lilies.
The presented mace was the symbol of the head of the Zwierzyniec Borough. The borough was founded in 1810, which we know thanks to the date stamped on its head. Around it, there is also the inscription: Państwo Zwierzyniec + Wieś Zwierzyniec [Zwierzyniec Country + Zwierzyniec Village].
Schindler’s office in the administrative building of Deutsche Emailwarenfabrik (DEF) was located on the second floor, right above the factory gate. One could enter the office through the secretariat, where a decorated architectural detail has been preserved on the ceiling—the place for a plafond lamp.